Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What to do down south

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, so we're down south next week but very skint so we don't know what to do (although Jim V still owes us a tour of thesite.org towers since he skived off last time)

however what can we do down south, Its been so long since i was last down, i forgot about anything exciting to do, london is a possibility, however very busy, I was thinking Cholchester but cannie remember whats there (my bro's never been so hes no good) prob a good question for SCC to answer. where else in the london/essex area. im so bad (needs be baby friendly)

Comments

• Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Hellfire wrote: »
    (although Jim V still owes us a tour of thesite.org towers since he skived off last time)

Isn't he skiving again next week?
  • Options
    If it's sunny I can reccomend Broadstairs beach in Kent :) The main beach Viking Bay is very sandy with I think a kid's slide, trampolines and those weird carriage swing things. There's an arcade, a really really cute old fashioned cinema, an Italien ice cream place, an arcade and err Charles Dickens used to live there.
  • Options
    ok, well picnics in regents park, the natural history and science museums, the museum of childhood, the V&A, the aquarium you can get a 2 for 1 offer on- theo might like that, the tate modern is actually geting quite little 'uns friendly might be a good one as its free! (lunch with me? would be nice to catch up!)

have a look at timeout london online , they have a list of free and cheap things to do in london.
  • Options
    JsT wrote: »
    Isn't he skiving again next week?
    probably :(
  • Options
    Sorry - I am away next week but drop Helen a message and see if she can show you round - I can't speak for her but hopefully she can make you a cuppa :)

Sorry to be away again - damn timing never seems to work out...

Anyway - if you can make it to London then I'd recommend the opportunity to see the ancient and the modern in the space of a few hours... Get to Euston and walk down the road to the British Museum. You'll be faced with some of the most ancient objects left in the world, go and stand next to the rosetta stone or wander through the Elgin Marbles. Look at tribal masks or the armour of a japanese warrior.

Then after seeing that just head towards the river and get yourself to the Tate Modern. From the obelsiks of empire to the cutting edge of art.

It's an incredible moment to wander from those cold, hard, solid objects of history into the kleidescope of colours, thought, expression and revolution that the Tate can show. From the art you'll hate to the art you'll love it's an incredible experience.

If nothing else stand in front of the Rosetta stone and think - this is what allowed us to understand each other - then stand in the Rothko gallery and look at his paintings and consider - we really don't need words to understand each other.

Although do check out Picasso's 'Woman Weeping' if it is still there - I'd love to know what you'd think of it as it's my favourite painting of all time.

And of course, in that wonderful, inclusive and increasingly rare British way of doing things - both museums are totally free.
  • Options
    i was going to suggest colchester zoo, but it is really expensive. About £15 per adult although the baby would go free
  • Options
    We went last time and enjoyed it, i think lolz n theo are gonna go with my sister n cousin, however i wont be, i get bored n its a waste of money.
  • Options
    ahhh i love the zoo. I just can hardly ever afford to go
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    Sorry - I am away next week but drop Helen a message and see if she can show you round - I can't speak for her but hopefully she can make you a cuppa :)

Sorry to be away again - damn timing never seems to work out...

Anyway - if you can make it to London then I'd recommend the opportunity to see the ancient and the modern in the space of a few hours... Get to Euston and walk down the road to the British Museum. You'll be faced with some of the most ancient objects left in the world, go and stand next to the rosetta stone or wander through the Elgin Marbles. Look at tribal masks or the armour of a japanese warrior.

Then after seeing that just head towards the river and get yourself to the Tate Modern. From the obelsiks of empire to the cutting edge of art.

It's an incredible moment to wander from those cold, hard, solid objects of history into the kleidescope of colours, thought, expression and revolution that the Tate can show. From the art you'll hate to the art you'll love it's an incredible experience.

If nothing else stand in front of the Rosetta stone and think - this is what allowed us to understand each other - then stand in the Rothko gallery and look at his paintings and consider - we really don't need words to understand each other.

Although do check out Picasso's 'Woman Weeping' if it is still there - I'd love to know what you'd think of it as it's my favourite painting of all time.

And of course, in that wonderful, inclusive and increasingly rare British way of doing things - both museums are totally free.
    Wow, I am so doing all this myself. What a beautiful way of appreciating London.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Instigate a mini site meet!
  • Options
    Who would really wanna meet me :-p

Apart from JsT with a baseball bat ;)
  • Options
    yeah thats true ;)
  • Options
    i really really recommend the princess diana memorial gardens in kensington park for kiddies. Its fab
  • Options
    Ooo really, might suggest it to lolz, get her approval