Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

arguements with mum

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited because it feels embarassing now

Comments

• Options
    How old is your brother? Would he be okay left alone with your mum's partner while you and her go out somewhere? In your post you mention suggesting activities like watching TV and movies; perhaps you could go out shopping, for a coffee or just a walk in the park.

It's sometimes easier if there are other people there too, to get conversations going - are there any other family members or friends you could also invite?

I don't think your feelings sound infantile at all - I imagine most people would expect to have some quality time with their family every now and again.
    Maybe if you back off a bit she'll appreciate your time together a bit more, as everyone needs their space, but you shouldn't be worried about suggesting things to her. I don't see my mum that much, but when we do it's normally just sitting around chatting, or occasionally going into town.

She's probably still settling in to the way life for her is at the moment. Try to be patient and keep your head up :)
  • Options
    How old is your brother? Would he be okay left alone with your mum's partner while you and her go out somewhere? In your post you mention suggesting activities like watching TV and movies; perhaps you could go out shopping, for a coffee or just a walk in the park.

It's sometimes easier if there are other people there too, to get conversations going - are there any other family members or friends you could also invite?

I don't think your feelings sound infantile at all - I imagine most people would expect to have some quality time with their family every now and again.
    Maybe if you back off a bit she'll appreciate your time together a bit more, as everyone needs their space, but you shouldn't be worried about suggesting things to her. I don't see my mum that much, but when we do it's normally just sitting around chatting, or occasionally going into town.

She's probably still settling in to the way life for her is at the moment. Try to be patient and keep your head up :)

• Options
    Am I right in thinking you've been away at uni?

It's worth remembering that your mum, her partner and your brother will have settled into habits and a routine while you were away that didn't feature spending time with you. Now, it's not unreasonable to expect that to change a bit now you're back home, but equally you have become more independant and they have got on with their lives with time spent with accouting for a lot less time.ll

I don't know when the last time was I sat down and watched TV with one of my prents, let along a whole film. Chance would be a fine thing, but we do spend time together when I'm home because I join in the domestic stuff, hanginging out laundry, cooking, clearing kitchen etc.
  • Options
    Edited: we sorted it out tonight (I think/hope!) thankyou for the advice :)