Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Free Newsgroups

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My ISP does not facilitate news servers. Does anyone know of any good free ones for binaries out there, and do I just configure it with the name in my Outlook Express?

Comments

• Options
    I don't do Outlook Express but why not get a free Yahoo account because it does have international and local news and accessing it is as easy as clicking your mouse. Get onto Firefox browser which your ISP should allow.. I don't see why it shouldn't.

For news I tend to read most newspapers online which gets to save me quite a bit of money. A good online favourite is Herald Tribune for international news but on Thursdays it does a regular feature on technology and latest gadgets. All very interesting:

http://www.iht.com/

Poppi
  • Options
    Ah - I imagine Teagan's probably looking to use the newsgroups to download movies and TV, rather than read the news. Binaries are the name of the downloadable chunks of files that are posted to newsgroups making them the key places to get early peer to peer releases, though more and more ISPs are throttling even newsgroup access.

Afraid I've no real advice on the best ones but I do know that the people who use them for downloading tend to pay for access these days, same way most people who use other torrent alternatives, such as Rapidshare, tend to pay the small monthly fees for quick access and download speeds.

Wikipedia might be as a good a place as any to start looking for a possible solution - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newsgroup
  • Options
    Why don't you just use google for newsgroups?

I don't think it will work with Outlook Express though.
  • Options
    Google don't provide binaries.

The only free provider I've used was YottaNews, but it's not much use if you're going to be downloading stuff (download speeds capped at 8kbs, 1GB usage allowance).

Out of interest, which ISP are you with?
  • Options
    I don't do Outlook Express but why not get a free Yahoo account because it does have international and local news and accessing it is as easy as clicking your mouse.

Hi Poppi, as Jim guessed, I am not looking for 'news' but 'news groups'. Thanks for your input anyway.
    Jim V wrote: »
    Afraid I've no real advice on the best ones but I do know that the people who use them for downloading tend to pay for access these days, same way most people who use other torrent alternatives, such as Rapidshare, tend to pay the small monthly fees for quick access and download speeds.

Wikipedia might be as a good a place as any to start looking for a possible solution - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newsgroup

Thanks for your help, Jim.
    Why don't you just use google for newsgroups?

I don't think it will work with Outlook Express though.

I want to download binaries, which Google doesn't provide.

Scott. wrote: »
    Google don't provide binaries.

The only free provider I've used was YottaNews, but it's not much use if you're going to be downloading stuff (download speeds capped at 8kbs, 1GB usage allowance).

Out of interest, which ISP are you with?

Hmmmmm ... ah well, maybe I won't have much joy with that then. I'm sure there were a number of free ones about a few years back, but I can't seem to find them now. :(

I'm with Orange broadband.
  • Options
    You'll have to part with some money IMO.

Virgin offers good newsgroup access, as part of their broadband offerings.