Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

oily skin

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
does anyone know any good face washes out there for oily skin?

I've tried over the years what feels like everything! From just using soap, to the Clinique 3 step kits, to Boots expert anti-blemish, to not wearing makeup ever to clearasil yet my skin is still really oily and greasy!

any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    I'm exactly the same. I find a scrub works best for me, but they all seem to be great for the first few days and then I go back to being greasy. Its like a never ending battle. I have very greasy hair too, it needs washing every day although I do it every 2 days to give it a break

The clearosil scrub one is the one I've found the best.

The thing I've found that dries my skin out the best is egg. Beat one up and put it on your face. Leave it there until its dried (it will feel tight) and then wash off with cool water (so as not to cook the egg). My skin feels tight and smooth and non-greasy, although you won't use the whole egg and its a waste so I try and do it when I'm making a cake or something LOL

Also I use vodka sometimes to close the pores on my nose. Even if I've scrubbed my face I use a cotton ball with vodka on and it seems to get even more dirt off. Most facewashes have alcohol in anyway

Otherwise I use panoxyl when I have actual spots going on, its good but its very hardcore so use only a little bit otherwise it dries you out too much and you actually get greasy and dried skin!! Aargh. You can buy this stuff over the counter

After years of trying EVERYTHING like you (soap, no make up, all the brands - even not washing my face!) I've come to rely on a cocktail of different scrubs, washes and creams with the occasional egg thrown in.

Good luck - I feel for you. At least you know theres another shinemobile around :)
  • Options
    Personally I find Body Shop Tea Tree products have been the best for me.
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    I'm exactly the same. I find a scrub works best for me, but they all seem to be great for the first few days and then I go back to being greasy. Its like a never ending battle. I have very greasy hair too, it needs washing every day although I do it every 2 days to give it a break

My hair used to be like that but if you stop washing it for four days (and don't leave your house/invest in many hats, obviously) your body will reduce the amount of sebum it produces (the grease for healthy hair) and when you finally wash it again, you'll find you can leave it for longer between washes.

OP, have you tried using a face mask once a week? As well as all the cleaning stuff. That helped me.
  • Options
    Don't try and dry your face out too much as you're skin will produce more sebum and it'll make it oilier.
  • Options
    I have really oily skin and i got a face wash on prescription from the docs, although you can just buy it over the counter which I do now. Its called panoxyl and its great, it contains bezil peroxide which will bleach your towels so be careful. My skin has really calmed down since i started using it!

see http://www.expresschemist.co.uk/product_2656_panoxyl-wash-10-150ml.html
  • Options
    hey thanks for the replies...the egg one sounds interesting to say the least! but defo will try that!

tried face masking every week but as lea_uk said, too much drying out just makes the skin even greasier! doesnt help that i have to use a lot of products on my hair which probably gets on to my face one way or another!

I've also tried Body Shop Tea Tree and the Boots range but tbh both didn't really do anything, in fact the body shop one seemed to make it greasier :-/

just bought the simple oil-control stuff so hopefully that might help (for a few days at least). its so greasy I literally could make a fry up on my face!

any more suggestions welcome!