Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Smoking and Fitness

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm 22 and think I'm fit enough - play football and go to the gym now and then.

I smoke but it doesn't seem to make a difference for me - I've only been smoking a couple of years and no more than 10-15 a day. Anybody else think that if you stay fit smoking mightn't be as bad for you?

Comments

• Options
    I'm say smoking is equally as bad if you worked out or not.
  • Options
    I usually light up straight after leaving the gym... It's kinda bad when I think about it... haha!
  • Options
    Smoking will still be bad for you, you can't really stop the tar :/. But you will be healthier overall as apposed to someone who smoked and didn't exercise. The problem with smoking is the long term effects mainly though so you probably wont notice them now but in 20 years... its quite insidious in a way because it's hard to 'see' the damage being done.
  • Options
    Giving up is likely to improve your performance, in terms of the longer term health risks, smoking for a few years (even up to 6 or 7) in your late teens and 20's doesnt seem to have a long term impact on your health for most people. But obviously thats based on a bell curve so you could well be one of those who react especially badly to the risk factors.
  • Options
    noog wrote: »
    I usually light up straight after leaving the gym... It's kinda bad when I think about it... haha!

I'm the same. Know it doesn't seem right but still do it!