Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Finding out where I stand

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello
complicated story and please before people have a go at me i know im probably slightly in the wrong here but my ex boyfriend disappeared to india for 6 months and while out there we started talking via instant messaging about getting back together and it was looking really positive. then he came back and i got text telling me he was with another girl. then we met up and ended up doing stuff (not quite going the whole way) and afterwards we didnt properly talk for a few weeks. he was still with his girlfriend and then he asked to meet up again this led to us ending up having sex meaning he had cheated on his girlfriend. that was about four weeks ago and we've spoken since and he is still with his girlfriend but he keeps saying he loves me and i need to know where i stand but i dont know how to ask him.
sorry
xx

Comments

• Options
    If he wanted to be back with you he would be by now. He's just using you for sex..
  • Options
    icey wrote: »
    If he wanted to be back with you he would be by now. He's just using you for sex..

:yes:
  • Options
    but couldnt it be he doesnt love his girlfriend if he is willing to cheat on her-i do feel guilty about her but dont know whether i should tell her?
  • Options
    Obviously he doesnt love his current gf or he wouldnt be cheating on her with you but at the moment hes got his cake and he's eating it...and you're letting him.
    I know it must be hard when someone you've got feelings for is messing you about but do you really want to be with a guy like this?
    Ok so he tells you he loves you etc fucks you then goes running off back to his gf..imagine what hes telling her and who knows who else..
  • Options
    but couldnt it be he doesnt love his girlfriend if he is willing to cheat on her-i do feel guilty about her but dont know whether i should tell her?

Not true. It is perfectly possible to love somebody and still cheat on them. Been there, done that. Not fair, I know, but it happens.

Don't tell her. You've been a willing party in this and so it will just look like you're causing trouble to break them up. Which is kind of true.
  • Options
    well im meant to be seeing him tomorrow and i just want him to tell the truth for once-i wish i could stop the feelings i have for him but i cant and does it make me an awful person if i carried on doing things with him if he has a girlfriend and i know this-i just dont think i can let him go altogther-if i shut him off i dont just loose my ex i loose my best friend from since we were little-sorry
  • Options
    Sometimes you just have to make a choice, easy it won't be.

You know what you are doing is wrong, so yes it does make you a bad person - but you can't help how you feel, and things will not change if you keep seeing him.

Personally, I think you are going to have to make the choice to stop seeing him. It is unfair to keep doing this to his girlfriend. You do need to explain this to him, and if he is actually interested in something happening with you, this should be the trigger. It should not be an ultimatum though - just a calm explanation that you can't keep on doing this as it's messing your head up.
  • Options
    It sounds to me a little like you want us to say "it's OK for you to carry on sleeping with this guy behind his girlfriend's back" but I don't think anyone's going to give you that answer. The basic facts are, he's cheating on his girlfriend with you (i.e. so is being a pig to her) and is having casual sex with you even though he knows you want more from him than that (i.e. so is being a pig to you too). I know it's hard but you have to face up to that and see him for what he is. Even if he did eventually give up his girlfriend and come back to you, how could you ever trust him after this? The only way in my experience to deal with getting over someone is to have absolutely no contact with them. So by all means, carry on sleeping with him, but I'm almost sure it's only going to lead to you and his girlfriend both getting utterly hurt by him.

Know it's not what you want to hear though and I'm sorry about that, I know it's hard to cut ties with someone you care for even when deep down you know they're treating you like dirt. As for the losing your best friend thing, if he was a true friend he wouldn't be putting you through this in the first place. IMO you're better off without him.

ETA: Can I ask why you and he broke up in the first place, was it just because he was going away or were there other reasons?
  • Options
    we broke up cos i went to uni and neither of us coped well with being seperated from each other and then he was going to india so it just wasnt going to work
  • Options
    we broke up cos i went to uni and neither of us coped well with being seperated from each other and then he was going to india so it just wasnt going to work

So, I am guessing you are still not going to be living in the same place once term time comes around again - hence would be a waste of time anyway?
  • Options
    ive moved back home from uni cos it didnt work out for me so yes we are living in the same place
  • Options
    It seems like you're just trying to justify to us why you should be together but i doubt you'll get any posters who agree. You will be better off without him. Whos to say he wont just cheat on you with some other girl and her that shes the one he loves just like he's doing to you.
    Sometimes its best just to cut ties regardless of how hard it'll be.