Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Pros & cons of Fluoxetine?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Was thinking about asking my GP to give me some as I've been really stressed these past few months and need something to help me balance my mental load. I've never wanted to take them in the past because of being a little paranoid about adverse effects, so can anyone give me the pros & cons (apart from feeling better)?

Comments

• Options
    Well the only pro is that they can make you better. It is the only reason why you'd take any medication, after all.

The cons are the same as with any ADs really. They're a new science, a science that some people believe in and some people don't, and because of that they can be hit-and-miss. Fluoxetine is the AD that's worked best for me in the past (and I've just been put back on it) but other friends have found citalopram or seroxat were better for them.

ADs aren't something that magically work wonders, though, and that's the biggest con. It depends on what sort of stress you've been under and what the symptoms of that stress are. I would suggest you go to the doctor and talk with them about your problems but don't go in with a medication treatment in mind. Fluoxetine tends to be for people with depressive illness or bulimia and might not be appropriate for you.
  • Options
    Cheers Kermit, I know GP's are all to keen on dishing out AD's, I may actually ask for counseling first to see if that helps, if it doesn't then I can go back and talk to the GP about other things.
  • Options
    Some doctors hand them out like sweeties but not all do. I've been referred to the mental health nurse for counselling at the same time as being given ADs. Doctors are getting better at using other treatments too, counselling can be better for you than ADs if it's just work and life that's getting you down a bit.
  • Options
    Agreed with Kermit - get other treatment at the same time, and make sure you are being monitored.

Aside from that, I found that it had nasty side effects for about a week, and then I was fine. But after a while I got a nasty rash and turned out to be completely allergic to it (oops).

But I have to say, in the meanwhile, it was the most effective SSRI I've taken.
  • Options
    As far as mood and stress go I think I will be better talking my feelings through first as I say, I think it's the fact that I get wound up so easy and stay tense for most of the day that makes me even more stressed as well as other things. I think if I can learn to balance anger with other emotions I'll be ok. However if I feel counseling is helping but not in the I'd like then I will return to my GP, cheers :).