Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Identity

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone ever get confused over who they are? It sounds daft, and is confusing to define how I feel, but it's almost like I'm not quite satisified with who I am, and I need to fit into stereotypes. I never have been a stereotype person, but I'm just struggling with this aspect at the moment. I do have problems with my self esteem though.

Comments

• Options
    yes!

there was a stage of when i was very confused who i was sexually (and sometimes i still am), and i think i'm very much still coming to terms with who i actually am. and something i've learnt is that its often important to look around you and who you are to other people as well as looking inside and reflecting
  • Options
    If what I say sounds patronising I apologise, I really don't mean to sound condescending but I think I will do.

You're 19, it's normal to have feelings of self-doubt about who you are and who you want to be. It's normal to doubt everything: what music you like, what clothes you wear, what friends and lovers you have, even what gender your lovers are. Everything is up in the air during teenage years for most people, sexuality, identity, taste, the lot. That doesn't make it any easier to deal with but it doesn't make you a freak or a loser or an abnormal person.

It gets easier.
  • Options
    I agree, Kermit, and i dont think it sounds condescending at all.

when i look back at myself at 18/19 i would say im such a different and better person now, i was so unsure of everything to do with myself back then. im 24 now and i feel like i've sort of grown into myself, if that makes sense.

what sort of stereotypes do you feel like you need to fit into?
  • Options
    yes... but more in the aspect that I appear to be a different person to people as I appear to myself.

Kinda like, I see a red apple, and you see the apple to be a colour I would define as blue, but you learned that the colour you see is red, so we see things in two different colours, both think it's red, never able to realize we see two different things.

It's weird.
  • Options
    Thankyou for your replies. Kermit it's not condescending at all, it makes a lot of sense! Sounds daft, but with a 30-something boyfriend, I often forget I am younger!

I am very much a book worm, and always at least two books on the go, reading is my ecsapism. When I'm not working (paid) or not at Uni, then I'm working on uni work, so I often get called a geek by family members, which doesn't bother me. I love gardenning, and I'm not really into the celeb world, fashion, or anything like that, so that's also reflected a lot personally. Perhaps I feel that I should be into them? I'm not certain why though.

I've never thought about how other people see me in that respect, thinking about it, I would say that BF thinks that I'm just myself. I asked him about stereotypes, and he said he loves me for who I am, and doesn't see the need for stereotypes.

I'm sorry if any of the posts sound melodramatic, it's just been on my mind quite a while.