Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

"locking" hair colour

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've dyed my hair the brightest red i could find, but the colour keeps running when i get sweaty, when it rains, in the bath...its really annoying me!

i know its semi permenant, but is there any i could stop it from running like this? i know it fades, but surely its not meant to do this!

Comments

• Options
    is it directions? I think you just need to rinse it as much as you can. Maybe hairspray would help? I always found directions a bitch for running and fading quickly, but i dont know any good alternatives either
  • Options
    its still running 3 weeks after i dyed it tho!

i wondered if there was some wonder conditioner or something...
  • Options
    do you style your hair with a lot of hairspray/use straighteners heat protection sprays etc? anything with a lot of alchohol in it will rip the colour out pretty brutally.
    elvive do a good colour protecting conditioner......fructis works quite well too.
  • Options
    Not much you can do, unfortunately. Red colours are notorious for fading the fastest.

Something that does help is shampooing your hair less often. You can still wet it and condition it as often as you want - and that'll clean it a fair amount, but shampoo will strip out all the oil and dirt and take your hair colour with it. People with crazy hair colours recommend only shampooing once a week.

Other than that, it's just the nature of the dyes. You can get bright red permanent colour if it's really getting to you. Live do a good range.
  • Options
    I think, i'm going to keep it until i get fed up with it again (which i can see being pretty soon) and dye it black again....
  • Options
    you can get some permanent colours that are a pretty good red, although its not as bright as directions, but its the brightest permanent ive found. I think its one of the "live" colour ones. I reckon if you bleached it first and then dyed it with that it would be pretty bright
  • Options
    id recomend live aswell for a permanent alternative to the semi dyes.