Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Attempted suicide...

I know this'll sound callous and really shitty, but after the Nth attempt of someone I know, a big part of me just wants to shake them to death whilst shouting "If you meant it, you'd have succeeded, get a grip.".

It is so bitterly, bitterly hard watching people on the downward spiral so often. I do suffer with depression, very badly at times. I do have a degree of understanding of how they feel, yet at the same time I can't help but think that if they meant it, they'd have got it right after a half-dozen attempts.

Sigh.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    sometimes its a cry for help?
    they may not even relise it at the time.
  • Options
    I know... I try and provide it where I can, but what can any of us really do?

ETA - not looking for any answers, just wanted to vent somewhat.
  • Options
    Vent all you like, and I know where you're coming from.

A guy I used to go out with has done something similar a few times, and I got so very very close to snapping last time and pointing out that if he meant it would be please do it properly rather than these attempts that just cause me grief and hassle.

It sounds harsh, and I don't really mean it, and I know he needs help and it's a cry for help and a symptom of his problems but it doesn't stop it being bloody annoying.

I recommend a large tub of ice cream. :)
  • Options
    I cut them off when something similar happened to me as regardless of what I would say or do they were just like a 'leech' that was upsetting and worrying and wouldn't stop trying to do something silly. You can't live your life making sure one person doesn't top themselves...
  • Options
    My family have had to live with not only a special well loved member that suffered Bi-polar who made an attempt on their life but one day that person succeeded. Now we are having to find a way forward and it is not easy feeling abandoned; feeling as if they took the easy way out leaving us to struggle on in this life.

And things will never be the same again for each family member grieves in their own way. Much could be said, but much has to be put somewhere safe into the Pandora's Box of Suicide, locked down secure lest what she did will irreparably affect our lives forever.

She made one big mistake. Being Bi-polar she felt better after her meds made her life feel seemingly so much happier - so stopped taking them. And subsequently spiralled down the hole again, only this time, a one way fall.

We could only do so much while she threatened and cussed and raged in her Bi-Polar state of mind. We did our flipping best and even though I had not known her all that long, I did all I can. But life has to go on even though bereavement is a tough bugger, we got to keep walking forward and be brave and supportive for our loved ones so cruelly left behind.

I lost the best mother in the world to cancer. And I lost this other family member to suicide. But I will be strong, cos I have such a brilliant cool bunch of friends all around me.

Got to be travelling to England soon so I'll see you guys somewhere later.

Hugggggs

Love Poppi
  • Options
    It's happened to me before. A friend of mine made a few half hearted attempts but nothing major. She used to send me goodbye texts and then I'd be going mad trying to get in touch with her and she never did anything. It got me so frustrated because I felt like she was taking me for a ride but I'd feel guilty if one time i didn't do anything and she really did do it.
  • Options
    I wish for people like that we could find a way to show them that their life has more value than they think it does, and even if things are not going too well now, that could change in the future if they are still around in the future to experience it.

As for your bi-polar friend, that makes me sad because my wife suffers from bi-polar and I'd hate anything like that to happen to her, but she's never actually threated suicide, she has had ambitions to run off far away.
  • Options
    I know this'll sound callous and really shitty, but after the Nth attempt of someone I know, a big part of me just wants to shake them to death whilst shouting "If you meant it, you'd have succeeded, get a grip.".

I know someone used to attempt suicide a lot and have been very close to saying stuff like this. I think once we (her, other people & me) were talking about things we'd failed and she said 'suicide' and I was a bit :eek2: . And that was months after I'd started having problems with self harm as well.
  • Options
    I believe that the only thing you can do with someone who has bi-polar is have them sectioned so they cannot harm themselves whilst they go through medical treatment and then usually if they have medication that works they will come out of it and feel normal again and can have their section lifted.

They need a good medical support team behind them. Fortunately Carol has that now.

Plus I can tell the signs when she's entering her state now. Invariably a sleepless night.