Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Needing bereavement link

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Mummy died last March after a short battle with advanced cancer. A month later I had a breakdown and though my family of best friends have done a lot to help, I still need more.

Could anyone find me a UK site to help over grief and loss? I am shortly to be living in England.

Many thanks.

Love Poppi

Comments

• Options
    Hi Poppi, sorry to hear of your loss.

Cruse are apparently very good; they also have a young persons section of their website, http://www.crusebereavementcare.org.uk/index.html.
  • Options
    Thanks very much. :)

I've saved the link and will email them tomorrow.

Love Poppi
  • Options
    Hi Poppi, very sorry to hear about your loss.

Cruse Bereavement Care is probably the largest charity that deals with the issues around bereavement in the UK.

In addition to the information on their website they also run two national helplines, a general line on 0844 477 9400 and a freephone helpine for young people on 0808 808 1677.

They also run a website that is aimed at young people - http://www.rd4u.org.uk/ - though it deals feel aimed at quite a young age group so you might find the information on the main site more helpful, still worth taking a look at.

Cruse also has a network of local centres that provide bereavement support, both through local telephone support and often one-to-one services. You can look through the directory of local branches here -

http://www.crusebereavementcare.org.uk/find_branch.html

In addition to the support provided by Cruse you might also want to look into what other local services are available to provide support - TheSite's local advice finder is a massive directory of local and national services that should be able to help.

You might also find it helpful to use our askTheSite service when you're in the UK - it's a free, confidential advice service for UK residents that can provide personal answers to questions from a variety of expert organisations.

You might also want to make a note of the Supportline website - they run a telephone service for young people that, in their own words, aims to 'develop healthy, positive coping strategies, an inner feeling of strength and increased self esteem to encourage healing, recovery and moving forward'

Their number is 020 8554 9004

Get Connected is another very useful service. They provide young people in the UK with a place to discuss what is going on then put them in touch with organisations that can best provide the support you are looking for.

Their telephone service is free - it's on 0808 808 4994 - and can contect you to other services directly, meaning that you can get through to services for free that might not be able to afford to run their own freephone service. If I remember correctly the freephone number is even free from mobile phones, which isn't always the case for other services on UK networks.

If you just need someone to talk to at anytime of the day or night then there is always the Samaritans, which provides a listening ear service for any issue that might be bothering you. Their number is 08457 90 90 90 or you can use their email service at jo@samaritans.org

And of course theirs always websites like ours, you might want to take a look at some of the askTheSite archive questions that have covered issues around bereavement or just hang around on the boards, people here are pretty helpful and supportive bunch :)

In addition the National Health Service has a pretty wide range of talking treatments and support services these days, though these tend to be accessed through your local doctor. May be worth getting registered with a GP when you arrive and discussing your situation to see what they can offer.

Hope that helps you know what support is available, other people may have other services they might recommend as well, or more personal experiences of what you've been through that may help.
  • Options
    Thank you Jim for your vast info which I've also saved and your condolences. Before mummy died and afterm I began writing a journal and found it very helpful to express myself. I owe so much to her memory and what she taught me is beyond price.

The askTheSite board looks very helpful. As soon as we find a perment address I'll get along there. :)

Love Poppi