Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Newsgroups

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey all

I'm venturing into the unknown territory of newgroups and am looking for some help/advice

i've signed up to a news server and have a new client but if anyone can help me figure out how i download songs/movies/etc. from this it would be much appreciated :D

i feel so miffed that i just can't get me head round it :banghead:

p.s. feel free to tell me if i am being completely and utterly stupid :p

Comments

• Options
    Not quite sure how much can be said without breaking the obvious ethical guidelines. But you'll need a newsreader capable of managing binary downloads, and the newsgroups you'll be wanting will have alt.binaries at the start of their name... :)
  • Options
    Torrents are better, in my opinion.
  • Options
    It's like comparing cheese and petrol. Both are energy stores, and that's about it.

Newsgroups tend to be lightning-fast all the time, and a different 'breed' of person puts stuff on there. It tends to be top-quality, or at the very least, accurately described.

Torrents on the other hand... the speed varies wildly, as does the quality of the download. I rarely touch torrents these days... haven't had the need to do so for probably 5 years or so.

I'm currently "browsing" the newsgroups, with an average download speed of 2 megabytes per second. Yes, megabytes, not megabits... I can regularly download well in excess of 10gb of data per hour...
  • Options
    'Click to see more', what newsgroups do you recommend for music etc then?
  • Options
    thanks guys, i think i've figured it out and have been watching most haunted live transylvania :)
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    'Click to see more', what newsgroups do you recommend for music etc then?

Anything containing the word "lossless". It's the only way to get quality audio - much of the stuff floating around the MP3 groups is, quite frankly, of a disgusting quality.

You don't get the same varied choice on the newsgroups, as you're at the mercy of whatever folk decide to post up. But you do get the opportunity to see albums you'd not normally take notice of in a shop, or on p2p. I've found some really good artists this way, despite nobody I know having any of their stuff.

I'm currently at 611 albums, and counting. :)