Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Labour less popular than the BNP

Labour was beaten into 5th place in the Henley by-election, and lost their deposit.

Is it just a one off or does it show how low they have fallen? Personally I think its a mix of the two.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7476703.stm
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    budda wrote: »
    Labour was beaten into 5th place in the Henley by-election, and lost their deposit.

Is it just a one off or does it show how low they have fallen? Personally I think its a mix of the two.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7476703.stm

They're not popular, but my understanding is that they did next to nothing in Henley and made no attempt to bring out their votes. Other parties did so (and the BNP put in a lot of effort, effort which can't be sustained if it's a general election and candidates in lots of constituencies).

I wouldn't read it as a national view of either Labour or the BNP
  • Options
    I wouldn't read it as a national view of either Labour or the BNP

I wasnt, I just thought it was quite interesting. Labour really shouldnt be in 5th place in any area of the UK, its not a good sign.
  • Options
    I wasnt, I just thought it was quite interesting. Labour really shouldnt be in 5th place in any area of the UK, its not a good sign.

Well there was no motivation for any Labour voters to come out for this election, whereas people who vote BNP and Green will not vote based on the chance of their candidate actually winning.
  • Options

It certainly suggests that David Cameron may be the next PM :yippe:

I did read that brown is less popular than Major (who was the most unpopular PM ever)
  • Options
    I did read that brown is less popular than Major (who was the most unpopular PM ever)

And still won.
  • Options
    It certainly suggests that David Cameron may be the next PM :yippe:

I thought Civil Servants weren't allowed to publically show a preference to any political party? :p

It's a by-election in a safe Tory seat, means fuck all really.
  • Options
    And still won.

Major wasn't unpopular (or not as unpopular as he became) when he won in 92. He was unpopular in 97 and lost
  • Options
    Why didn't Labour bother to put up an effort fighting the by-election? It isn't because they realise that their time in office is nearly at an end, as much as I'd like to believe it. No, the reason is they simply haven't got the money to do it. The party has £17.8million in debt at the moment, and before anyone dares accuse me of being biased, the £17.8million figure comes from the Electoral Commission's own website. With interest added on, the figure is likely to be over £20m. If this was a business, it would be essentially bankrupt. Soon, it will be time to call in the administrators. I can't say I'd miss them, although I do wonder who'd end up getting custody of Alistair Darling.

So, why are Labour so unpopular at the moment? Could it be the refusal to grant a referendum on the Lisbon Treaty, aka the EU Constitution, and then lying over the reasons for doing so? Perhaps it's the utterly shameful and backward decision to allow 42-day detention? Maybe it's the criminally high price of fuel that millions of motorists have to pay every time they fill up their car? Is it possible that the truly disgusting abolition of the 10p tax band which hurt millions of poorer people badly has something to do with all this?

I must admit I'm enjoying the spectacle of Labour, once a brilliant politicial party with integrity and principles, digging its own grave. All I say to Macavity is keep digging at that hole. The only mystery now is who will ultimately throw his government into the hole and bury it.
  • Options
    Labour is going down the hole because the government have stopped listening to the people that matter, and as we can see it's having the effect that organisations like the BNP are beating them on votes.

Whilst Labour not having enough money to pay for campaigns e.t.c. I don't see how people are swayed by them anyway. This isn't the USA where you can win by saying your opponent isn't a patriot.