Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

David Davis resigns

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7450627.stm

to fight by-election against Labour and its authoritarian streak

Let's hope a few more MP's follow his example

Comments

• Options
    It's not often I find myself in agreement with a Tory MP so this is quite remarkable.

I don't quite understand whether this might be used to defeat the bill or if it is just a form of protest. I mean, he's fighting his own seat which is already in Tory hands. So as far as votes for or against the motion go, nothing would change if he wins, right?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    It's not often I find myself in agreement with a Tory MP so this is quite remarkable.

I don't quite understand whether this might be used to defeat the bill or if it is just a form of protest. I mean, he's fighting his own seat which is already in Tory hands. So as far as votes for or against the motion go, nothing would change if he wins, right?

It won't make a change - however I imagine that it will be well covered by the media, and if Davis plays it well will generate a lot of publicity, it will help lock in the Tories to seeking to repeal the Act (assuming he wins comfortably). It could also potentially embarrass one or two of the Labour rebels to resign as well and that would be a problem for Brown.
  • Options
    I don't quite understand whether this might be used to defeat the bill or if it is just a form of protest.

I understand this to be a form of protest.

The Lib Dems have said that they won't contest it and Labour would be wasting their time, given his majority in the last election, despite the 'decapitation' strategy between the Lib Dems and Labour to oust him.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    I understand this to be a form of protest.

The Lib Dems have said that they won't contest it and Labour would be wasting their time, given his majority in the last election, despite the 'decapitation' strategy between the Lib Dems and Labour to oust him.

I bet the Lib Dems are thanking there lucky stars they didn't suceed...
  • Options
    oh man what a douche. It has been debated in the Commons, it will be debated in the Lords. Most peope suppport the government, what will it achieve? Nothing. If it actually gets past the Lords, why not wait to get into government and then scrap it?
  • Options
    It's a ridiculous political stunt... he's forcing a by-election to make a point but really, he's just wasting public money.

The LibDems aren't running anybody against Davis and I'd be surprised if Labour field a candidate... (although, I suppose if the LibDems aren't running anybody - Labour might try and call on a celebrity to try and bring about some kind of upset). Hmm if Labour/LibDems don't run anybody though, it's not as if Davis will have provoked any type of contest.
  • Options
    But the point is that if he wins, he wins specifically on the issue of civil liberties. To me, that is a very important message sent to the government about their mandate to continue with the Bill.

He's made me proud to be a Tory, sad as that sounds. And I have a cross-party bunch of friends who are all impressed that someone is actually principled enough to stand up and say "no, this is actually more important than my career". If I were Cameron I'd welcome him back as HS if he's re-elected, though I don't see it happening.
  • Options
    Welcome and noble as his gesture might be, it's worth remembering that Davis is not the champion of liberties he'd like us to believe. As a fervent supporter of the death penalty Davis is against the biggest and most important right there is: the right to life.

He has also continuously voted against any proposals and bills designed to achieve equality for homosexuals, from joining the Forces to being able to adopt.

So as a libertarian he's a pretty flawed and inconsistent one.
  • Options
    So as a libertarian he's a pretty flawed and inconsistent one.

Isn't everyone?
  • Options
    Isn't everyone?
    Perhaps, but many of them wouldn't describe themselves or be described by others as libertarians in the first place.

Don't get me wrong, I think what Davis has done is commendable. But when was speaking in his press conference about traditional British liberties being eroded he should have remembered one of those British liberties is tolerance- something that he has regrettably shown a remarkable lack of when it comes to gay rights, or the sanctity of human life for that matter.
  • Options
    The stand he took does seem to be genuine, if the head of Liberty believes him I'm inclined to.

However it has lead to Murdock putting his own candidate forward in a total mockery of democracy.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7452264.stm
  • Options
    Last I heard MacKenzie was probably not going to stand after Murdoch had second thoughts (i.e. not a chance in hell of winning, and he doesn't like not winning).

What this goes to prove is what an evil and dangerous fucking cunt that tax-dodging ultra right wing Australian-born US resident who thinks he should determine how Britain is run really is.
  • Options
    It's interesting how the Sun changed it's position - it started off being really anti-Davis, but now has tempered it's position and saying he's an honourable man. The Sun is the biggest selling paper in the UK, because it can read the way the wind blows and Davis has got a lot more support over this than abuse
  • Options
    Last I heard MacKenzie was probably not going to stand after Murdoch had second thoughts (i.e. not a chance in hell of winning, and he doesn't like not winning).

Excellent news, I wouldnt have wanted him banned from running (although my gut instinct is to do just that) but the thought of Murdock having an MP did make my blood boil.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    the thought of Murdock having an MP did make my blood boil.
    Some people say he's had a PM for years now... ;)
  • Options
    Some people say he's had a PM for years now... ;)

Well of course, the amount of sway he has really is shameful. But this is one of those topics I avoid for the good of my heart.
  • Options
    SINCE WHEN DID A SERIOUS POLITICIAN PUT HIMSELF UP ON A SINGLE ISSUE? ooops cAps.
    Since when did anyone with any political savvy ever vote on a sinG;e issue?
    This is a self publicity stunt to try and make a comeback from the shadow of Cameron.
    Come on ...we don't vote guys into power on a single issue do we?
    He didn't complain about the Muslim guy who just got bail after two years in jail ...having been charged with nothing ...having been proved innocent of any law breaking in the UK ...which makes the 42 day shite look a bit suspicious.
  • Options
    He didn't complain about the Muslim guy who just got bail after two years in jail ...having been charged with nothing ...having been proved innocent of any law breaking in the UK ...which makes the 42 day shite look a bit suspicious.

it's worth noting too that he voted in favour of the death penalty, so resigning over 42 days seems a bit odd.