Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Veggie meal for ten people! Help

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My family are going away for the weekend to a cabin and one night we're all cooking and eating a meal together. There will be 19 altogether, with 2 veggies.

I've been asked to organise a veggie option to feed approx 10 people (only 2 veggies but so theres enough for other people to have to option too)

I know there will be potatoes, pies and quiches and salad already, and something to do with a chilli but I'm not entirely sure what

I don't know what kind of facilities there will be, e.g. pots n pans, or how much oven space. I also have to carry the stuff on the train for 6 hours and I've got an awful lot to carry already!

GAH! Anyone got any ideas?!

Comments

• Options
    nut terrine?
  • Options
    Veg chillie - that way you dont' need to make as much as everyone will prob eat the meat version if they are not veggie.

Then you can make it a few days before and put it in the freezer and it can defrost on your way up on the train.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    nut terrine?

Whats that?
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »

That veg world website is really good! How come's I've not heard of it before?!
  • Options
    You jus needed me to point it out for you.

x
  • Options
    Chilli is a good idea because apparently the jackets are going to be baked. I don't know if it could defrost on the train because I'm going up on the Friday and we're not eating it until the Saturday
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    Chilli is a good idea because apparently the jackets are going to be baked. I don't know if it could defrost on the train because I'm going up on the Friday and we're not eating it until the Saturday

Even if you made it on the Thursday it will still be fine by Saturday even without freezing it :yes:
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    Even if you made it on the Thursday it will still be fine by Saturday even without freezing it :yes:

But with 6 hours on a hot train in the middle?

Think I'm going to do a veggie/nut roast, and some chilli cos there's going to be jacket potatoes. I'm gonna do a trial run of a roast tonight. I can make breadcrumbs and chop nuts before I go and seal them in a plastic bag, then everything is measured out already

Although I haven't made up my mind yet so I'll welcome any other ideas!
  • Options
    But with 6 hours on a hot train in the middle?

!

thatd give it time to defrost :)
  • Options
    thatd give it time to defrost :)

Yup. Carry it in a cool bag as well.
  • Options
    g_angel wrote: »
    Yup. Carry it in a cool bag as well.

And that would be ok to keep in the fridge for another day until it was heated up?

I worry about defrosting things!
  • Options
    And that would be ok to keep in the fridge for another day until it was heated up?

I worry about defrosting things!

:yes:
  • Options
    Excellent, its a plan!