Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Atlantic Ferry Crossings?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Sooo i was wondering if anyone knew if you can get a ferry/boat from the uk to the usa thats not a cruise thing just more like a straight foward method of transport?

Now i know it will take about 6 days to get there and that its quicker to fly etc etc, but if such a thing was possible it would be much more prefferable! I'm not even fussy about what part of the u.s that the boat docks in, i doubt anyone here has atcually done it(?) because obviously a plane is the much more sane option, but i thought i would see anyway!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Nobody does it commercially as far as I'm aware, I doubt there would be a penny to be made in it!
  • Options
    A ferry to America? Are you mad? :shocking: :razz:
  • Options
    Ha a bit :p

I found a southampton - new york crossing that takes 6 days and is £965 which would be fine but the day you get to new york you turn round and sail home which isn't quite what i had in mind, i don't see why no one seems to do one wher i can get off, and err stay there for a bit!
  • Options
    Best link I've found about it is this.

The fastest liners on Cunard do it in about ten days but they tend to be cruise crossings. Other than that you'll need to travel as a passenger on a regular freighter, probably with Hapag Lloyd from Felixstowe or Liverpool. Freight liners will take about 14 days to get there as they travel slower to conserve fuel.
  • Options
    Oooohhhh thank you!