Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Cracked lips

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Okay so for the second time in two months now I've got really red skin at both of the corners of my mouth, it stings when i open my mouth and looks chapped and I think its turning into one of those cracks that you get at the side.

Last tim i had it, it got infected (probably because i picked it a teeny bit :o something i will definitely not be doing again) and it didn't go away for a whole MONTH. it looked disgusting and i had to get antibiotics and stuff...

the thing is whats the best thing to put on it? at the moment im just lathering it with vaseline, and using zovirax once a day (just in case its the beginning of a coldsore, i dont think it is though) but iv been doing that for about a week now and its just still the same! i really dont want it to get worse, it was so painful last time, and i know it sounds stupid but it upsets me! it makes me feel so self concious and i dont like kissing my boyfriend or anything.

also does anyone else get it? thanks.

Comments

• Options
    I really feel for you as I had EXACTLY the same problem early this year for about 6 months. It made me so self concious because it was all I could think about and see when I looked in the mirror. I went to the doctor countless times, and was given various things (antibiotics, anti fungal creams) but nothing worked. Vaseline helped a little but once I stopped using it for a day or two it came back worse than ever. Anywho in the end a friend said I should try and antihistamine tablet (such as claritin etc) as I found it was itchy, and she said it may be an allergic reaction. Anywho it worked for me and I now take an anti allergy tablet everyday and my lips are fine. If I stop taking them then it flares up again. It took a few weeks to see a difference but it definately worked for me. However yours might not be an allergy but if it feels kinda itchy and 'flares up' sometimes then you should consider antihistamines, they have no side effects and are pretty cheap if you get supermarket own brands so it wouldnt hurt to try. Hope you find a solution because i know how depressing it can be *hugs*
  • Options
    ahh thanks you two, i think i'll try both of those. im not sure whether the antihistamine will work, i already take piriton (not regularly though) for hayfever and its not really itchy but i still think i'll try it, im desparate! aleox im so glad you know how i feel, everytime i look in the mirror its just there and it makes me feel horrible.

when i went to the doctor about it last month she said a 'persistent crack at the side of the mouth' was a sign of anaemia, and i am anaemic, so iv been taking iron tablets for two weeks now, hopefully maybe they'll work? i'll def get the betadine stuff as well. is it silly to go to the doctors about this if it doesnt go away? it just seems like such a small thing. hmm.
  • Options
    ahh thanks saz you're a star. i dont like vegetables but iv been trying to eat them, like last night my boyfriend made me tuna and broccoli bake haha, and i ate it, couldnt really taste the broccoli. iv been looking on wikipedia and self diagnosed myself with this. sounds pretty much exactly what it is. i guess il buy some betadine and carry on using vaseline, and hope it goes away soon ahhh please.
  • Options
    Blistex.

My lips get really dry when I'm working a lot because of the heat from the production bin and they usually end up cracking. Blistex will make them better in a couple of days.