Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Summer capsule wardrobe?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
what would be your summer capsule wardrobe if you've only got £150

I need some inspiration, as almost all my clothes either no longer fit or they are worn out so i need to go get some new stuff...but don't really have the money to go buy loads!

Comments

• Options
    well, i'm just planning what to buy for my summer hols, and have spent ages on asos.com and looking through magazines, just browsing.

i reckon, you can't go wrong with some good gladiator sandals, they'll do for day and evening, some white jeans (although picnics+white jeans = grass stains!), topshop do some really nice low cut vests with like a frilly edging which are gorgeous too. erm, and some heart shaped sunglasses!!

eeeee holiday can't wait :D
  • Options
    i looked at those heart shaped sunglasses but they look really silly on me- small head here.

I've been told that the new fashion for bigger busted ladies is to wear square cut neck lines, they ahve red and black tops in peacocks for £4 each. Can't do white...no even undies...i am white-aphobic so might have to be another colour, but has anyone seen any well cut but cheap linen trousers
  • Options
    have you got a primark near you? i got some for £8, brilliant. you can stock up on holiday accessories there, especially jewellery for under £20
  • Options
    peacocks do really nice stuff for super-cheap.

a capsule wardrobe would be apair of jeans or linen trousers a pair of shorts, some of those lightweight combat type trousers that you can adjust into shorts.
    Id also get a couple of cami/vest tops and a couple of nicer tops.

I never go out anywhere that would require dressing up though so save money that way ;)
    i reckon i could easily get all that with £150
  • Options
    deffo linen pants, in stone/khaki...they dont have to be white!

i have some in a gorgeous burnt orange, sound horrid but with a plain black top and nice beads, they look so summery and classy, a bit different from the brash white and yellow that most people seem to wear in summer!
  • Options
    can i get away with cropped trousers though cos i've always been told that when you're really short (which i am) you shouldn't wear them as they make you look shorter
  • Options
    try a pair on and see?
  • Options
    i don't have a clue what works i think everything looks like shit on me....
  • Options
    I would say you can get away with the crops, but try not to make them like 3/4 length crop, more like crop just above the knee, or just below. Preferably just above. Then wear heals to dress up or pumps to dress down. Don't match them with a long-ish top and you shouldn't be too bad! Might even be good eh, who knows :razz:
  • Options
    Sounds like a quite decent budget for summer clothes! Summer clothes are so much cheaper than winter clothes anyway.

Not sure about fashion advice (fashion is not my strong point, lol!!) but I'm 5foot2 and I have some cropped trousery things for in the gym but I had to take about 6 inches off the bottoms so they are the right length on my little legs, I took them to my mum's house and she helped me do it on her sewing machine.

Good luck with your shopping x
  • Options
    i wouldsnt wear heels with cropped trousers :S surely that would just look weird????

Maybe wedges at a push. Cropped trousers are casual
  • Options
    i wouldsnt wear heels with cropped trousers :S surely that would just look weird????

I'd agree with wedges, but not really heels. I have smart work trouser crops and always wear heels with them, but I wouldn't with casual ones.
  • Options

depends....

i have some very nice khaki cropped pants that i wear with heels on a nigh out, or flip flops in the day

its one of those where it's a case of accessorising to take something from day wear into night

all depends on the style of the crops really
  • Options
    ok, well i'll look for some shorts of that sort of length...

I cannot find any good dresses, i've been to primark, peacocks, H&M, dorethy perkins, and i can't find anything that i like, that suits me or that fits well....

any ideas as where i should try next?
  • Options
    Littleali wrote: »
    depends....

i have some very nice khaki cropped pants that i wear with heels on a nigh out, or flip flops in the day

its one of those where it's a case of accessorising to take something from day wear into night

all depends on the style of the crops really

:yes: I have a cheap pair of white linen-y shorts/crops from matalan in the sale last year for something silly like a 5a and wore them to death on holiday with a nice pair of wedges and a smart top. I also wear them here with slip ons and a plain(ish) vest top.
  • Options
    If I was you (and I tend to do this with my own summer clothes) I'd try to get stuff that you can wear with other things in say spring and autumn and maybe even winter. Like some skirts can double up as an evening skirt at any time of year, some summer tops can look great teamed with a nice pair of jeans when the weather is colder.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    If I was you (and I tend to do this with my own summer clothes) I'd try to get stuff that you can wear with other things in say spring and autumn and maybe even winter. Like some skirts can double up as an evening skirt at any time of year, some summer tops can look great teamed with a nice pair of jeans when the weather is colder.

:yes: definatly.

I have one sort of vest shaped top that I love love love on it's own in the summer

but

I wear it over a long sleeved (or short sleeved) white t-shirt in the winter and it looks ace too.