Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Goodness...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My man has asked me to move in with him, into his house. Oh my.

That's it.

Comments

• Options
    Awh, I'm sure it'll take a wee while to sink in. You'll need to have a think about it and see if you're ready to move things to that next stage. Hope it all goes well.
  • Options
    At least yours asked - I just stayed over and never really when home again! ;)

As silverhalo says, hope it goes well for you :)
  • Options
    Yeah it's kinda weird, I've been trying to weigh up the pros and cons and the main things are basically I'm worried we'll stop being a 'couple' and not really do anything, just be like two people just living together, doing our own indivdual things, ie, him on xbox, me with magazine... which is nice don't get me wrong but I like all those cute coupley things, like dating type things, like going to the cinema and on 'dates', does that make any sense at all???

Also I'm very worried about the old milk and cow thing....
  • Options
    star* wrote: »
    I'm worried we'll stop being a 'couple' and not really do anything, just be like two people just living together, doing our own indivdual things, ie, him on xbox, me with magazine...

I don't think this stops you being a couple. if you weren't at his and he wasn't at yours, then I imagine he'd be playing his xbox and you'd read a magazine at home, so surely it's the same thing just in the same room? :) I do get what you mean though, you can get too comfortable. I guess the only way to know is to go for it. How much time do you usually spend at his? You might find moving in brings you closer together as you may feel more like a unit.
  • Options
    Also I'm very worried about the old milk and cow thing....

Not sure if I'm missing somthing really obvious, but milk and cow thing?
  • Options

I thought that too. Figured maybe it was a reference to one of the couple milking it and getting the other to do all the housework etc.
  • Options

'Why buy the cow when you get the milk for free?' - It's a popular fear that, if a man is getting all the perks of marriage without a lifelong, legally binding commitment, he may take his time before popping the question...or may not ask at all! (courtsey of thesite.org :p )
  • Options
    'Why buy the cow when you get the milk for free?' - It's a popular fear that, if a man is getting all the perks of marriage without a lifelong, legally binding commitment, he may take his time before popping the question...or may not ask at all! (courtsey of thesite.org :p )

Man how off was I on that one! :lol:
  • Options
    Man how off was I on that one! :lol:

Haha but you're right though, I hadn't thought of that!
  • Options
    Haha but you're right though, I hadn't thought of that!

I think if you're not careful it can be a general man thing to try and get the woman to do the housework. Well, a stereotypical man thing anyway ;)
  • Options
    I think if you're not careful it can be a general man thing to try and get the woman to do the housework. Well, a stereotypical man thing anyway ;)

Oh dear, it looks like it'll quite easily turn out that way...I already nag him about stuff, like his inability to change the bedsheets, the fact hs idea of making dinner is handing me a kitkat and a pepperami, and the obscene amount of empty Coke Zero cans in his room; and I wouldn't mind that so much but Coke Zero? Ewwww, Cherry Coke pur-lease.
  • Options
    TashJTashJ Posts: 79 Budding Regular
    Hi star*

Moving in with a partner can be a really exciting time, but it can raise a lot of issues as well. Good on you for taking the time to think things through before you move in together.

It seems you've already read our 'Move in or move on' article (the one with the 'milk and cow thing'). There's also this light-hearted guide to some of the early issues you might face on iVillage.co.uk. And a slightly more serious one from lawpack.co.uk.

If you haven't already, it might be worth having a heart-to-heart conversation about some of the this things with your man. It might feel like you're putting a downer on things, but in reality, discussing potential problems such as quality couple time or who does the housework in advance, can help bring you closer together.

That said, all the pre-planning in the world, may not be able to prepare you for some of the issues that arise. And it's important to realise that it won't be perfect all the time - you may both need to make compromises as you work out how to live together.

Hope it goes well for you! :)
  • Options
    Due to my circumstances I can't move in with my boyfriend yet but because of that we have talked about it a lot and we agreed that once a week we would have a "date night or day" when we did something together excluding all our other stuff like PC games, reading, gym etc. I think it may be a good idea to discuss that with him, making a date so to speak means that you both reserve time for each other and won't get into a situation where you are in the same house but not spending time together as a couple.