Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

a bit concerned (jogging/running)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I properly started my training today. I ran around the block twice and now I am completely out of breath. I kept having to stop and start. I didn't realise how out of shape I am. Is this normal?

I have a half marathon for youthnet (yay) in October and don't really want to make an idiot out of myself..so being so unfit.. Do I have hope? Should I pace myself or push myself to begin with? So many questions! Ahhh. I have a training plan in mind that Franki picked up from the BUPA website and it looks good. This was just a 'warm up' I guess. Also I am picking up a pedometer this week if my brother can't find his.

Oh another question! I prefer jogging in the evening to the morning..Not sure why. Does it make any difference when I do it?

Comments

• Options
    If you're doing a half marathon you want to be aiming for stamina and not speed, so I'd advice pacing yourself above going all out. If you're getting tired really quickly it's probably a good idea to do maybe a brisk walk first, followed by a slow jog and so on, build it up and don't worry about only doing small amounts to begin with. If you're getting out of breath it's doing you good. I'd aim to push yourself a little bit more each time and maybe set yourself distance targets, or try jogging a little faster each time.

If it's in October you're jogging you still have a lot of time to get fit so I wouldn't worry. As for jogging in the morning/evening...I'm really not sure sorry.
  • Options
    C FunkC Funk Deactivated Posts: 163 Helping Hand
    Hey :wave:

I completely agree with chaos_insomniac. With over four months to go till the Royal Parks Half Marathon this October you've got plenty of time to get into shape. I'd suggest putting together a plan to how often and how far you're going to run. Increase the distance and the time spent jogging as it gets closer to the half marathon.

When it comes to evening/morning jogging it's advisable to jog in the morning before you eat. This is because when you wake your body is ready to burn fat and your levels of growth hormone are highest at that time. Saying that, all excercise is good for the body and it's not going to make a massive difference when you do it.

Here's some advice that I gave to Namaste in a post a couple of months ago that might help. Good luck!!!! and let us know about your progress.

:thumb:
    Training for a marathon can be a really tough test of the body and mind. You'll have to change a few aspects of your lifestyle to achieve your goals.

First of all you'll need to find out exactly how fit you are and how much training you're going to need to do. Experts reckon you need to be able to jog for 20 minutes at least three times a week to cope with the demands of the training.

Once you've figured out how fit you are, draw up a training plan. Try and aim to do around three or four runs a week. Three medium runs (40 minutes) and a long one at the weekend (hour and a half).

I would recommend starting mild training at least six months before the marathon and work your way up. Aim to do one two-to-three seperate hour runs once a week the last month before the race.

Remember to rest your body when you're not training and maintain a healthy diet. Eat lots of foods like pasta and fish.

I've done three half marathons in the past three years and found them very demanding. Perhaps think about having a go at doing a half marathon before you jump into the deep end to see how you cope.

There are loads of training guides on the net and I'd advise reading them before you start your training.
  • Options
    Thanks :) I don't feel so bad now. I am going jogging again tonight with my mum..apparently so I can see how crap she is at it. I will try a brisk walk first. At the moment it feels unnatural to run so I need to get used to it. Also I'll pick up one of those pedometer things so I can actually see for certain how far I run and then up it up. Then I can go by the BUPA training guide a lot more easily.
  • Options
    Thanks :) I don't feel so bad now. I am going jogging again tonight with my mum..apparently so I can see how crap she is at it. I will try a brisk walk first. At the moment it feels unnatural to run so I need to get used to it. Also I'll pick up one of those pedometer things so I can actually see for certain how far I run and then up it up. Then I can go by the BUPA training guide a lot more easily.
    Good idea...a pedometer will make keeping track a million times easier! :)
  • Options
    It does say on that BUPA thing Rach that you need to start with a brisk walk :p.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    It does say on that BUPA thing Rach that you need to start with a brisk walk :p.

I SKIMMED :P
  • Options
    I SKIMMED :P
    Well you shouldn't have skimmed :p. Dafty :p.