Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Funny ear

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was cleaning my ears out with cotton buds and suddenly one of my ears went fuzzy as if there was some wool stuck in there. I can't feel anything and my mum says she cant see anything, but its been a while now and it still hasnt gone away. Could there be something stuck? I wasn't poking far in at all but I hope I haven't damaged it. Should I go to the docs tomorrow if its still the same?

Comments

• Options
    You shouldn't clean your ears with cotton buds as it pushes the wax into your ear canal and blocks it. Perhaps this is what happened?
  • Options
    How are you supposed to clean them then? Could be possible, prob have to get them hoovered out.
  • Options
    You're not supposed to go inside the ear. The wax is like a lubricant for your ear I think and it's supposed to be there. Obviously if you have a lot on the outside, clean that, but never ever stick a cotton bud inside your ear.

I clean my ears when I'm in the shower. I just kinda scrape my fingernail upwards across the hole without going into it.
  • Options
    Oh I'm silly :blush: I'll get some drops tomorrow and see if that helps.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I've read about not using cotton buds, but if I don't after a while my ears start getting blocked. And water can't clean the wax off them.
  • Options
    My boyfriend uses audiclear (I think thats what its called) it's especially for cleaning ears and came from boots in a big squirty thing.
  • Options
    I've read about not using cotton buds, but if I don't after a while my ears start getting blocked. And water can't clean the wax off them.
    That's what ear drops are for.

Seriously, it's soooooo potentially dangerous to poke a cotton bud in your ear.

ETA: water can, if you do it every day.
  • Options
    I've used some drops and they seem to have cleared it, just got loads of drops in my ear now which keep clogging it up as soon as I put my head straight.