Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Dress for a funeral

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My mum died this week and thus I will have to go to a funeral. Not the happiest of occasions for shopping but I'm sure she would have approved (She loved shopping :))

So I want to get a nice, modest dress for the funeral but the only restriction it has is that it must NOT be black. My sister is a bit pissed at me and thinks I'm being disrespectful but my mum told me time and again that she didn't want people to wear black at her funeral.

Her favourite colour was purple so if anybody knows of any fabulous purple (modest of course) dresses that would suit please hook me up. Also any accessories would be great as well.

Thanks guys
X

Comments

• Options
    Awww honey i'm sorry that your mum died and i'm sending you giant internet hugs - however I am also guessing that its a bit of a relief as well as she had been ill for so long.

I thought of French Connection as they have some nice purple stuff usually however this was the only one they had and it might be a little evening dressy.

It could look really nice though with a black cardigan or jacket - which might also be a compromise with your sister. Plus if you tell everyone on purpose that your wearing purple as its your mum's favourite colour i'm sure they would understand.

Here there is also this and this from Monsoon but they might not be formal enough.

or this one , which my sister wore to my Nan's funeral which kind of fits the funeral and colour togeather - even though its black its kind of lifted by the ribbon.
  • Options
    Heya,

Really sorry to hear you lost your mum.

Your post reminded me a little bit of my Grandad's funeral a few years back, to whom I was really close. I wore a black top and black skirt and tights and was all quite formal but topped off the outfit with my purple snake-skin high heels. I just knew my Grandad would have approved even if nobody else did :)

I don't know much about fashion and wear to get clothes from but I just wanted to reply to say I think it's a lovely idea to wear what your mum would have liked you to wear.

Hope you manage to find what you are looking for :)

*hugs*
  • Options
    just wanted to say sorry to hear about your mum :(
  • Options
    Thanks guys. Wyetry you're totally right, it is a relief in a way. She was in so much pain and now she's not. I've told my family that the only reason we're upset is for ourselves and if mum were here she'd tell us to pull ourselves together and stop snivelling. Haha.

Those dresses are wicked, the last one is something my mum would have worn. It's going to be a hot day so I think I can be a littleeeee bit informal. I only wish I had a pair of purple snake skin high heels to wear. Haha.

Thanks guys.
    XXX
  • Options
    How about this one.. http://www.dorothyperkins.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?beginIndex=0&viewAllFlag=&catalogId=20552&storeId=12552&categoryId=49448&parent_category_rn=&productId=715642&langId=-1 - suppose it depends how tall you are. If you're tall, it might come above the knee which might be considered too much for a funeral, but obviously you know best :)