Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Help - is this a good laptop deal?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1032710504.1211883922@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccgcadeeekjkfeecflgceggdhhmdgmj.0&page=Product&sku=118057&category_oid=-34074&fm=undefined&sm=undefined&tm=undefined

I don't know anything about laptops and I've heard mixed reports about PC World so wanted to ask advice from people with a bit more of a clue. Basically I'm looking for an easy-to-use laptop, mainly for internet access, uploading photos from my phone and eventually a digital camera and downloading music (legally I mean). My housemate has a Compaq which I borrow now and again and like using it, and the finance deal on this (deposit of £40 then pay the rest 11 months later) sounds pretty good to me. But am I being a mug? Is there something I'm missing? Will PC World own my soul if I fall for their evil scheme? :( Help me, I'm clueless!

Comments

• Options
    Why do you need a laptop? You've not said anything about wether or not you'll be actually taking it out of your house.

The best value for money is in desktops. Our HP system with 2.4Ghz quad core (about 3 times faster than your laptop), and a 320Gb hard drive cost £650. If you're willing to live with something that isn't portable then the best deals are in tower systems, and not at PC World.
  • Options
    Sorry, it's mainly a space issue really. And convenience I suppose. I don't particularly need to take it outside, but I'd like to have a computer that doesn't tie me to the one room. I have a very old PC - with tower and monitor etc - and am looking to get rid of that as it's basically ground to a halt. I'm moving to a new flat soon and don't really want a big computer taking up loads of space in the living room or bedroom, especially as it'd need a desk or table to put it on, whereas a laptop obviously doesn't.
  • Options
    You may want a slightly bigger hard drive if you're mainly using it for downloading music.

Also, avoid Norton. Use something like AVG. (which is free)
  • Options
    Noted, thanks for the advice!
  • Options
    Nothing wrong with buying a laptop from PC World - times have changed and they're a lot more competitive on price then they used to be - also remember you're paying for a shop and real staff not an internet company's faceless warehouse.

The spec looks fine to me and if it's 0% interest then even better.

You can always buy an external hard drive if you run out of space
  • Options
    Thank you, that's what I thought too - good to have some second/third opinions. I'll pop in tomorrow I think and have a look.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Why do you need a laptop? You've not said anything about wether or not you'll be actually taking it out of your house.

The best value for money is in desktops. Our HP system with 2.4Ghz quad core (about 3 times faster than your laptop), and a 320Gb hard drive cost £650. If you're willing to live with something that isn't portable then the best deals are in tower systems, and not at PC World.

couldnt disagree more

I went shopping with my auntie recently and didnt see any particulary good deals on desktops

and to be honest I dont see why anyone who has fairly limited needs (which i presume she has if she doesnt know a lot about computers) would need a 320GB hard drive.

Mine is MUCH smaller than that (think its only about 60GB...i know...old school....my dad built it 10yrs ago haha) and I have never run outta space yet, despite downloading LOTS of music, having my entire photo album on my comp and even the occasional film!

320GB is obscene IMO unless a) you'll actually come close to using it and b) the price is great
  • Options
    To be fair Whowhere made his comments before seeing the reasons why a laptop was needed - but I'd say these days most people are better off with a laptop then a desktop.

Your average £400 laptop has more then enough processing power to do 99% of non games related stuff.
  • Options
    I just bought this laptop on Saturday. I think it's a nice laptop but i wouldn't know about paying for it on credit cos i bought it out right. My 1st months insurance is free then i think it's like £7.99 or something a month after that, can't remember i wasn't paying much attention :lol:
  • Options
    I'd say it's an ok laptop, not great to be honest.

This one is better in my opinion: http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/-/654/861/-/3477685/Acer-Aspire-5920-Core-2-Duo-T5450-1-66GHz-2GB-160GB-15-4-DVD-SM-Vista-Home-Premium-Laptop-Notebook/Product.html?searchtype=genre

It has a better screen (although the same graphics card) and also a card reader, although the processor is slightly slower.

or this is the same hard-drive as the pc world one, but faster processor: http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/-/654/861/-/3477695/Acer-Aspire-5920-Core-2-Duo-T7300-2-0GHz-2GB-120GB-15-4-DVD-SM-Vista-Home-Premium-Laptop-Notebook/Product.html?searchtype=genre and has a card reader and better screen!

I personally prefer ACER products.

I wouldn't suggest paying for something on finance such as a laptop/computer. If you save up for a laptop instead, then you'll still get what you want and by the time you have the money, there might be some better spec deals out there to be had!

Not directed at you, but too many people go by the 'buy now, pay for it later' method, which in my opinion isn't the right one - for certain products. My motto is what i can't afford now, i'll save up for and if i really want it, i do overtime etc to earn the extra cash! That's just my opinion though!:)
  • Options
    This Dell is pretty good value if you can afford to pay upfront. £316.00 if you upgrade from Vista Basic to Vista Premium (with free delivery on orders over £299.00 for the next month).

Spec:
    Components
    Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T5670 (1.8 GHz, 2 MB L2 Cache, 800 MHz FSB)
    Genuine Windows® Vista™ Home Premium with Service Pack 1 - English
    15.4" Widescreen WXGA (1280 x 800) Display with Anti-Glare Coating
    Glossy Black without Camera
    2048MB (2x1024) 667MHz DDR2 Dual Channel
    160GB (5400rpm) SATA Hard Drive
    IntelJ Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator X3100
    Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Slot Load Drive including Software
    Primary 6-cell 58 WHr Lithium Ion battery
    Services & Software
    1Yr Basic Warranty - Next Business Day Included - No Upgrade Selected
    Declined CompleteCare
    No Security/Anti-Virus Protection
    Accessories
    Microsoft® Works 9.0 - English
    No Carrying Case
    No Bluetooth® Card included
    Intel® Pro Wireless 3945 (802.11 a/b/g) MiniPCI Card
    Also Includes
    N0615108
    Vostro Laptop 1510 Order - UK
    No Biometric Fingerprint Reader
    English - Documentation Vostro Laptop
    V1510 Resource DVD (Diagnostic & Drivers)
    65W Power Adapter (3 Wire)
    1 Meter Power Cord (3 Wire) - UK
    Internal Keyboard - English (QWERTY)
    1Yr Basic Warranty - Next Business Day
    Dell Internet Order

And of course you can upgrade anything you want on it if you want to spend the same amount as the PC World one.

And if you're going to do the credit thing with PC World, be careful. I used to work for Currys which is the same company, and I know that the credit agreements are designed specifically so that something like 9/10 people don't pay them in time, and end up paying about 30% APR. They'll always ask for a big lump sum at the end, because most people who buy on credit are useless at saving up, and it catches them out.
  • Options
    Hmm, OK. Now I don't know what to do at all. I don't understand specs of computers and all that kind of thing...I'll have to get my boyfriend to have a look at them, he works in IT so should be able to help me out.

As for the credit thing, I'm not useless at saving up - it's just I'm moving house in the next couple of weeks so will be needing to shell out for a deposit/rent/new furniture for the flat and so money will be a little tighter than usual. I hear what you're saying about waiting until I've got the money and usually that's what I would do, but I'm so sick of relying on other people to use email and the internet. Sounds like a petty reason maybe but it's important to me. I would never go for one of these credit deals usually as I do know how much they can sting you (one of the other finance deals for this laptop means you end up paying more or less twice as much as the original price) but this one looks different as the end price you pay is the same as advertised. But yeah maybe I'm being naive. Perhaps I'll just forget it for the time being.

Thanks for all the opinions.
  • Options
    What's your budget? Just get whatever you can for the money. Play.com and ebuyer.co.uk have good deals on normally. Avoid celerons (lol).

Dell also does good money off sometimes. But at the end of the day for a fixed price you can get a fairly good system.

And also have to say to littleali that a desktop pc is much better value than a laptop, but you lose portability. In price terms for an OEM the difference between a 320gb hard disk and an 80gb hard disk in a desktop PC is about £10-£15 lol. I have over a terabyte of storage in my computer and even then that's getting close to the wire. Photos from a several megapixel camera can take up several megabytes each. Have a few hundred photos which is pretty easy tbh and youv'e used up quite a few of your precious gigabytes already.

For the price difference I don't see why anyone wouldn't get the larger disc. In fact the best 'value' in price per gigabyte terms is around 750gb at the moment, but that probably is in excess of the average users needs. Bear in mind that an up to date game can now take around 10gb on it's own to install.. if you've got the sims 2 and expansions I dread to think how much space you have left!

Back to the OP - you'll want to be looking at desktop replacement systems for your needs. Basically a laptop you might keep on a desk or coffee table that is pretty much fully functional like a desktop, the downside being they have shorter battery life and are bigger and heavier (as apposed to ultra portable laptops which are obscenely expensive and performance is average, look at the macbook air, for example).

I think the play.com link above is as good a deal as any, at the end of the day you only need it to work :). Other considerations you might want to consider - does it need wireless? How important is a multimedia experience? (You can get 'multimedia' laptops, again more expensive but bigger screens for hardware video decoders that give superior performance when watching DVDs, say)

Personally I think PC world is a bit of a rip off merchant, they don't tend to have deals anywhere as good as their competitors - their philosophy is high prices and high 'service' (that you have to pay extra for :yeees:). They make a higher markup per sale but make less sales.. if that makes sense. Have you ever been to a PC world that was busy? :p There's my point!
  • Options
    StupidGirl wrote: »
    Hmm, OK. Now I don't know what to do at all. I don't understand specs of computers and all that kind of thing...I'll have to get my boyfriend to have a look at them, he works in IT so should be able to help me out.
    Well all you need to know is that the one I posted and the one you posted are pretty much identical, except that the Dell has a slightly bigger hard drive. And it's cheaper, obviously.
    StupidGirl wrote: »
    As for the credit thing, I'm not useless at saving up - it's just I'm moving house in the next couple of weeks so will be needing to shell out for a deposit/rent/new furniture for the flat and so money will be a little tighter than usual. I hear what you're saying about waiting until I've got the money and usually that's what I would do, but I'm so sick of relying on other people to use email and the internet. Sounds like a petty reason maybe but it's important to me. I would never go for one of these credit deals usually as I do know how much they can sting you (one of the other finance deals for this laptop means you end up paying more or less twice as much as the original price) but this one looks different as the end price you pay is the same as advertised. But yeah maybe I'm being naive. Perhaps I'll just forget it for the time being.
    There's nothing wrong with credit, it's just that the sort offered by PC World is rarely the best way of doing it. Find out about their credit deals before you ask them about any products, and then see if you can beat it elsewhere. You might be entitled to an interest free overdraft from your bank, and some credit cards offer you interest free purchases for a year (and that way, you can set it up to pay off the balance however you want - presumably the same amount per month until it's gone). Seriously, I would never touch store credit. Apply for one of these, and buy it on that instead.