Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Who to have broadband and phone line with

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
Need to know a good provider for phone line and broadband in one.

Thanks
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    get mobile broadband and then you don't need the telephone line

Can make and receive calls over the internet
  • Options
    Yup, what DG said.

I know Three are doing some good deals, and if you have a contract with them you can get better prices :)
  • Options
    Is mobile broadband any good for if you download stuff? Or if you play games online?
  • Options
    Not particularly, as the monthly usage allowances are small compared to conventional broadband (7GB on Three is the highest bandwidth limit I've found).

I'd stick with the regular packages if you want to do a lot of downloading.
  • Options
    Scott. wrote: »
    Not particularly, as the monthly usage allowances are small compared to conventional broadband (7GB on Three is the highest bandwidth limit I've found).

I'd stick with the regular packages if you want to do a lot of downloading.

Ah, thanks. I was wondering if it was a viable alternative as BT are terrible with us (they cut us off over a month ago doue to a problem at their end and still haven't managed to sort if out!), but it doesn't look like it :(
  • Options
    Acrobat wrote: »
    Ah, thanks. I was wondering if it was a viable alternative as BT are terrible with us (they cut us off over a month ago doue to a problem at their end and still haven't managed to sort if out!), but it doesn't look like it :(

Do they to Virgin cable in your area?
  • Options
    Do they to Virgin cable in your area?

Yes, but we can't have it in our building, the managing agents have said so. If not, I would have gone with them :grump:

Sorry for the thread hijack Virus!
  • Options
    What about SKY?
  • Options
    I have Sky at home - you still need to get the phone line from BT first though and also a dish and TV package for the best overall deal.

3's PAYG Mobile Broadband is probably the most flexible offer at the moment and suitable for normal usage such as email and internet not for games or major downloading.

But Skype and VOIP should work OK on it.

I might get it myself for using the internet with my laptop when I'm out and about - better then messing about trying to find a WiFi signal all the time.
  • Options
    Virgin Media also offer broadband down a BT line up to 8mb but to be completely honest there are sometimes issues with speed in the evenings, tho not for all customers

otherwise someone like talk talk/tiscali may be worth looking at as they offer LLU connections that can usuall ybe run throuh/instead of a standard BT line and offer faster speeds like up to 16mb or up to 24mb
  • Options
    We're with PIPEX/Homecall (PIPEX took over homecall) and have unlimited free daytime/evening/weekend calls to geographical numbers, unlimited 8mb broadband and our line rental with them...think it's something like £25 a month - maybe less.

It seems PIPEX have joined tiscali or something :crazyeyes but that's good news for you - they do 2 packages which might be suitable http://www.tiscali.co.uk/products/talk/?code=AB-NL-11BU&srccode=COD_609

Option1 for £15 per month - unlimited up to 8mb broadband, free wireless router, free line rental, free weekend calls, one of £30 set up fee and keep your number.

Option2 for £20 per month - same as above, but free anytime calls instead of just free weekend calls