Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Length of hair for updo?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, so I've only had one haircut in the last 18 months, and my hair's getting to that length where it's just a bit creepy, so I need a haircut.

Thing is that I'm getting married in 4 months, and want to wear my hair up, so don't want to get too scissor-happy and end up limiting my styles.

So what do you reckon is a good hair length for updos? Allowing for a few months of growth, of course!

Comments

• Options
    My hair is in between shoulder length and chin length and I can get it up, although it depends on what kind of up-do you're going for.

I reckon if you get it to shoulder length then with regrowth you should be ok :yes:.
  • Options
    Aye. Don't think I'd go shorter than shoulder anyway cause I have to be able to easily tie it back on bad hair days (hair's natural state has a touch of the orphan Annies about it).

I think I'm just wary of having too much off, then falling in love with a style it won't go into!
  • Options
    just have it trimmed or just like an inch off and thinned if your a little worried about not being able to tie it back?? so it will look healthy - im not being rude but 18 months of not having a hair cut can cause it to have split ends etc.. i get them every couple of months.. :S

cant go wrong :)
  • Options
    how quickly does your hair grow? if you're worried about it ending up too short, just get an inch or two. or maybe find some styles you'd like for your wedding and take it with you when you have your hair cut so they know what sort of length you'll be wanting it to be in four months.
  • Options
    It needs a fair whack off cause it's bra strap length now, and I'm not a fan of hair that long. Plus other half is badgering me to have some off cause he keeps breathing it in in the night/leaning on it and stranding me! I'd be having at least a good 4 inches off, and that would still leave it well below my shoulder, but I don't know if it's a bit risky to go shorter.
    sweet_gal wrote:
    so it will look healthy - im not being rude but 18 months of not having a hair cut can cause it to have split ends etc.. i get them every couple of months.. :S

Haven't had it cut for so long cause I can't afford it, really, but it's still in pretty good condition. I only have a few split ends on the ends of my fringe where I straighten it a lot. Tbh I think that 6 week trims are something conjured up by hairdressers to make money, but then I am v cynical about the hairdressing industry :p
  • Options
    If you ask the stylist you're going to have your hair done by for your wedding, they will tell you what length they want it. I spose that only works if you've already thought about how you're going to have it.
  • Options
    Yours is about the same length as mine :)

I absolutely hate getting my hair cut though so avoid it as much as possible. I went in January for a cut though as I was going to a wedding and didn't want to let the bridge and groom down by looking messy in their wedding photos! I usually go about once or twice a year for a haircut.