Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Pop Up tents

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Are these kind of tents any good? And who sells them - I can only see them being sold online - can't really see any of the big names like Argos selling them on their website

Comments

• Options
    They're great, as long as you can fold the damn things back up again afterwards!

Bit awkward for transport too as they fold down into a big circle, so when you're carrying it or have it strapped to your bag you either look like a ninja turtle or a spartan!
  • Options
    They're great, as long as you can fold the damn things back up again afterwards!

Bit awkward for transport too as they fold down into a big circle, so when you're carrying it or have it strapped to your bag you either look like a ninja turtle or a spartan!

What is your profession?
  • Options
  • Options
    i've got a quechua 2 second tent, they're all good fro the summer but i wouldn't advise you to go anywhere near it in the winter as it bloody cold and many are not water proof.

tbh, i would rather get a good stick up tent because theyre more compact and much better build quiality although you will find it will be heavier.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    What is your profession?

What?
  • Options
  • Options
    Decathalon sell them, good for easy summer stuff, not massively warm for winter or rough weather camping.

Go up like a dream, sods to pack up.
  • Options
    pffft. nothing beats a good ol' basha :p

on topic, i think pop up tents are useless, i'd use a real one if i were you.
  • Options
    Ever tried one?

Just because I have, and while nowt beats my lovely Coleman for me for a week, for a fast simple solution, the pop up is great.
  • Options
    Ever tried one?

Just because I have, and while nowt beats my lovely Coleman for me for a week, for a fast simple solution, the pop up is great.
    yes, and I must say there pathetic, weak and barely water reisistant.
  • Options
    So are people saying that cos they need to fold up easily the material these kind of tents are made from aren't very good?

I am assuming pop up tents are more like a water resistant cloth material whilst regular tents are more like plastic.
  • Options
    It all depends where you get them from, and what the individual quality is like.

You can usually get info about tents, weight, poles, pack size etc and hydrostatic head. Hydrostatic head tells you how waterproof they are, the higher the better.
  • Options
    I picked up this one last night

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/0199557/Trail/searchtext%3ETENT.htm

it says it's Hydrostatic head is 2000mm

According to this site anything over 1000mm is considered waterproof and the British army only specifies a minimum of 800 mm for their tents

http://www.outdoorgear.co.uk/infopoint/definitions/hydrostatic.htm

219-0199557SPA69UC446559X.jpg
  • Options
    Wow... tents are exciting...

BTW, don't go by the british army standards, they really are the bare minimum from my experience... but then army people are arguably hardier than the rest of us so it's swings and roundabouts I guess.

We've just bought a 12 man tent for our holiday, there's only going to be 6 of us in it :p but we had a 6 man and you really struggle fitting 6 adults with a weeks worth of stuff - food, clothes, bags, etc. in a 6 man tent. The other upshot of course is it's so massive we can use it as a social space for all 10 of us
  • Options
    ok so what's the trick to putting these things (popup tents) back in their case when you're done with them?
  • Options
    Twist!

Like you're coiling the frame up.
  • Options
    Oh, this is THE thread for me... any tent experts out there who can advise me? I want to buy a 3/4 man tent which is straightforward but not a piece of crap that will leave us soaking and depressed if it rains or the wind blows.

Was thinking of just going into Blacks or Millets and asking but thought I might get ripped off when they see how utterly clueless I am... and I really, so any help very much appreciated :flirt: :)
  • Options
  • Options
    Whatever you do make sure it's a double skinned tent, a single skin will get condensation and make everything damp and not nice and is barely showerproof i find.

Also get a tent with a porch, makes such a different if it does rain, so you have somewhere to stick muddy boots/dump sopping wet clothes before crawling in.

Vango are good brand to look out for, for a normal tent. Khyam are great for tents which are really quick to put up but more expensive and a bit heavier than a normal tent.
  • Options
    Khyam are brilliant :yes:
  • Options
    Khyam are brilliant :yes:

Yep, i have the Khyam Highlander as my festival tent, sets up in seconds and packs away easily unlike those bastard pop up tents.
  • Options
    One family at canoeing have a massive khyam tent, it's such a good one but it does need a trailer to transport it in!
  • Options
    i wouldnt get a pop up tent as they tend to be single skinned, and you really need a double skinned tent if youre actually going to sleep in it, because if it rains, a single skinned will give you bugger all protection.
    ive just got one of those basic small tents http://www.millets.co.uk/Camping/Tents/3-4-Person-Tents/Candy-Flower-Dome-Tent/product/095821.aspx that but different pattern, and i can put it up on my own in about half an hour, maybe less
  • Options
    Oh and i'd recommend a minimum of 2000mm for hydrostatic head as have friends who have taken 1200 and 1500mm tents and they've woken up in a paddling pool after heavy rain.
  • Options
    That Vango off the Millets website looks pretty good, Vango are generally a good brand.

If you're only after the one night Lacry then you should be able to pick up something very very cheap.
  • Options
    I just came back from a camping trip this weekend

I bought a pop up tent but didn't use it as one of the other people in the group brought a regular tent made by Blacks.

I have to say the Black's tent was well constructed and little things like having the instructions sewn into the case helped as well as colour coded poles.

Having said that we got totally soaked taking down the tents and it wasn't easy to do in high winds and rain. The tent I used had a porch which was handy for leaving my flip flops outside.

We had very heavy wind and rain through out the night and didn't feel a drop of water or any wind inside of the tent although the walls were of course shaking like mad and the noise of the water hitting the tent kept me up all night.

I think I saw a £89.99 label on it so pretty pricey for a 2 man tent.

If anything I wish I had a warmer sleeping bag - had a -5C mummy style sleeping bag but I think I could have done with something even warmer this weekend.
  • Options
    DG wrote: »
    I picked up this one last night

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/0199557/Trail/searchtext%3ETENT.htm

it says it's Hydrostatic head is 2000mm

According to this site anything over 1000mm is considered waterproof and the British army only specifies a minimum of 800 mm for their tents

http://www.outdoorgear.co.uk/infopoint/definitions/hydrostatic.htm

219-0199557SPA69UC446559X.jpg

One thing about this tent I found is according to the instruction to pack it away the first move is to turn the thing upside down - that could be an issue in high wind. Also requires a lot of strength to pack it - twisting it into a circle.
  • Options
    DG wrote: »
    If anything I wish I had a warmer sleeping bag - had a -5C mummy style sleeping bag but I think I could have done with something even warmer this weekend.

A silk or fleece sleeping bag liner should keep you nice and warm and doesn't take up much sapce at all and means you can keep your current bag.