Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Braces

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi, i am going to have braces install in next 2 weeks due to my teeth's condition but i have heard it hurt a lot esp in first 2 months and whenever u visit doctor and then for next 2-3 days (my doctor has also told me this), soaring will become like part of ur life etc etc, has any one has experience of that? Please share ur experience with me so that i can better prepare for that. How much time it was there, my doctor has told me it will be for around 2 years given my conditions.

Comments

• Options
    How long they are on depends on the individual and how their teeth respond.

Braces tend to be uncomfortable rather than really painful. The two main causes of irritation are the brackets rubbing on your lips/cheeks and the tension in the wires. Most people find it sore for a couple of days after the wires are tightened, and then if the brackets rub your cheeks.

You can get special wax to put on any bits that rub, get rid of the rough edge, and standard pain killers usually ease the discomfort after the wires are tightened.
  • Options
    How long they are on depends on the individual and how their teeth respond.

Braces tend to be uncomfortable rather than really painful. The two main causes of irritation are the brackets rubbing on your lips/cheeks and the tension in the wires. Most people find it sore for a couple of days after the wires are tightened, and then if the brackets rub your cheeks.

You can get special wax to put on any bits that rub, get rid of the rough edge, and standard pain killers usually ease the discomfort after the wires are tightened.
    Looks like copy paste form wikipedia :p
  • Options
    i had braces for two year, it was painfull.. as i had cuts in my mouth from the wires and it really kills when you have them tightned which was everymonth i couldnt touch my face sometimes as it hurt loads.. i lost a lot of weight, as i couldnt eat much due to pain..
    but other than this the pain was worth it.. and i would go through it again if it mean my teeth would be lovely like they are now .. :D
  • Options
    I can also loose weight :nervous: not good, really not good, i am already loosing weight due to study tensions and some other problems in life and this will do it also :( shit, but have no choice so have to go for it.
  • Options
    yeah you can loose weight if you dont eat properly as i couldnt face the pain.. but it will be worth it if your teeth look nice and straight after
  • Options
    Hiya,
    I got them when I was around....15 I think? The top ones came off about 2 yrs into my treatment, and the bottom ones came off about 6-8 months later. It was a complete pain in the arse at the time but well worth it. My teeth are so straight and I get compliments about them all the time, and at 20 years of age I still don't have a filling! :D I'm not gunna lie they are a bit sore, and it's hard to eat for a while after each time you get them tightened, but as I say it's well worth having them. Good luck! :)

capo2
  • Options
    I had them twice! I had mine off nearly a year ago now (just had them on the top but had them on the bottom for 2 years too when i had a full mouth a few years ago) and I still wear the plastic retainer at night. My advice would to be eat before you get them fixed and every time before you get them tightened because it hurts to eat for a few days afterwards and get some wax incase they rub. Oh and avoid eating anything too chewy or solid for about a week after getting them fixed because the brackets can ping off quite easily.
  • Options
    Looks like copy paste form wikipedia :p

Well for your information, it was a post I put a fair amount of effort into to give you good information!
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    I had them twice! I had mine off nearly a year ago now (just had them on the top but had them on the bottom for 2 years too when i had a full mouth a few years ago) and I still wear the plastic retainer at night. My advice would to be eat before you get them fixed and every time before you get them tightened because it hurts to eat for a few days afterwards and get some wax incase they rub. Oh and avoid eating anything too chewy or solid for about a week after getting them fixed because the brackets can ping off quite easily.

Ballerina did you get them on the nhs the 2nd time?
    i was looking at my teeth and theres imprefections that were not there a year ago :(
    i had my braces off in 2004 and i was wondering - i know your not the dentist but do you reckon they will let me have them on nhs as they kind of moving back to how they was.. if you look close.. so i jus let my mates look at my teeth from a distance haha but im scared that my teeth are moving back to how they were pre braces :(
  • Options
    sweet_gal wrote: »
    Ballerina did you get them on the nhs the 2nd time?
    i was looking at my teeth and theres imprefections that were not there a year ago :(
    i had my braces off in 2004 and i was wondering - i know your not the dentist but do you reckon they will let me have them on nhs as they kind of moving back to how they was.. if you look close.. so i jus let my mates look at my teeth from a distance haha but im scared that my teeth are moving back to how they were pre braces :(

Well I had the full set put on in 2001, had the top ones on for 8 months because they straightened really quickly but kept my bottom ones on for about another year. But when I had them off they were slanting in so I told him to put them back on straight away and had them on for another year. Then he told me to stop wearing my retainers too early so my top teeth started to move, so I had them back on in 2006 and got that off last summer. It was all on the NHS because I was under 18 and in full time education. But my mums a dental nurse so my dentist did more as a favour because it was really for cosmetic reasons. But I think it's still free when you're at uni because that counts as full time education?
  • Options
    I had braces about ten years ago for about a year or so on bot top and bottom sets. My teeth are lovely and straight now on the top set, the bottom set aren't quite as straight but they are much better and you can't see those ones nearly as much as the top ones. It was a little uncomfortable but really not that bad for me, I think the sore gums were the worst bit when it first went on but as has been said you can get special wax for them to ease it a bit. Just make sure you follow all the advice about toothbrushing when wearing the braces as you may have to use different products to normal, I seem to remember using some slightly strange looking implements on my teeth at the time but I can't remember the names but I'm sure they will advice you on this. And good quality mouthwash was also important especially as I couldn't use floss whilst it was in.

Definately definately worth it though :yes:

I :heart: my teeth !!
  • Options
    Uni only counts as full time education if you are under 19.

The new NHS Dental contract has changed what ortho gets done on the NHS and which treatments plans are economic for the dentist to carry out under the NHS. Your dentist will probably be able to give you an idea as to whether you'd get the ortho on the NHS, but be warned, if it's purely cosmetic then it's very unlikely!
  • Options
    sweet_gal , Scary Monster , Randomgirl's and Ballerina's thanks to all, it was very helpfull for me and great to hear that after some pain the reward is very good. Now i am little better prepared for the pain.
  • Options
    i second what everyones said, also thought id add to becareful when eating things like apples, don't bite into them as it can rip the brackets off, cut them into small pieces then chew them at the back of your mouth.