Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Ill cat

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi,

I'm really sorry about the nature of this thread, and to hear Lu C's bad news.

One of my cats is ill and I really need some advice. He has a flee allergy and gets quite itchy, for the first time he itched it so much that he bled, and it obviously hurts when it's touched, it's now weeping puss. We've put on a cat lamp shade collar so he can't get to it, and will take him to vets tomorrow. I know it sounds daft, but what do people use for their cats fleeing methods? We use Frontline- recommended by vets to us. Will he be ok? Because of his brother being terribly ill when he was little I'm just so scared that I'm going to lose them.

Comments

• Options
    I'm really sorry to hear that your babe - I hope he's okay.

I'm afraid I don't really have more to add than that though :(
  • Options
    All you can do atm is take him to the vets asap and stop him from scracthing the irratated skin. We've used frontline on ours for years after she had a reaction to a flea collar, lost all her hair round her neck and it never grew back.

I hope your cat gets better soon.
  • Options
    Thankyou for your replies, I couldn't think of anything else to do for him either, just hope it scabs over soon!
  • Options
    We use frontline :yes:. It's pretty good, although our cats don't really get fleas, oddly.

I think you've done the best you can do atm and I hope he gets better soon.
  • Options
    Thankyou Franki. He's actually quite 'himself', a little more affectionate than normal though.
  • Options
    Ours have had Frontline before, and it wasn't bad... but we swapped over the Advantage - recommended by our vet and that is good.

Sorry you're cat is poorly. :(

Have you bathed the sores for it? Whenever our cats get scabs and things we just wipe it with damn kitchen roll... they seem to like it, probably like being licked by mummy cat. :) Don't use salt though... might irritate it more.
  • Options
    We use frontline on our two and they've never had fleas :D We've got to take Maya to the vet tomorrow, she cut her paw yesterday (i think jumping from a tree and landing on a stone/holly leaf). She seemed ok and today she was fine and walking ok, but she reopened the wound today as there was blood all down the path and the kitchen and she's just been sick. Just hope she hasn't got some infection.

Just got back from the vets, torn/bitten knuckle 3 jabs £176.41p :eek: and she'll have to go to our usual vet for a stitch tomorrow.