Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Bangers and mash help?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I am going to make sausage and mash for dinner tonight for the famille, I've never made it before (bar mashed potatoes and plopping a sausage on the George Formby grill on seperate occaisions, mind you.)

But I was thinking of chopping some onions and lobbing them in a big tinfoil envelope in the oven for a bit with the sausages themselves, before adding to the mash and gravy?

Would this work?

Would it be a recipe for disaster? (hoho, what a pun)

Comments

• Options
    It's cool, worked it out. ;)

Thanks anymahoo. x
  • Options
    I put spring onions in mash (champ) and its lush
  • Options
    Fry some onions until brown (you need to get the sugar out and caramalise) then add a level tablespoon of flour. Fry for another minute and gradually add 3/4 pint of stock, stirring all the time. Allow to simmer for 3 minutes (to cook the flour).

Vary the flour/stock for a thicker or thinner gravy. Personally i like my gravy in slices :)
  • Options
    that's it? all you have to do to make tasty onion gravy? I'm so thick when it comes to cooking, must try that though, have a new fetish for gravy.
  • Options
    I make the yummiest red wine onions for bangers and mash...

We love it so much we do two red onions worth but do as much as you want... chop finely in rings and fry off with a bit of butter and red wine... once softened put into a small saucepan and keep on a low heat, add a bit of sugar to sweeten and as the wine cooks away add more wine... I tend to start mine off at the same time as the mash so the onions cook for about 45 mins. By the end of it the onions are really plump and juicy with the red wine. I don't bother thickening it as I find all thickening agents take away some of the flavour but by the end of it there isn't a lot of spare juice anyway.

When you serve just dump the onions on the top and let their juices trickle down through the mash - you could also add a few to the mash as well if you wanted!

I know what I am having for dinner :D
  • Options
    What I meant was could I bake the onions in with the sausages if I wrapped them alll up in a sausage and onion tinfoil parcel in the oven? But I ended up frying them but ruined them a bit cause they weren't all that crispy on the outside. I fried them with mushrooms and onions but burnt most of them. First time frying sausages - GUTTED! I'm sticking to the bloomin George Formby grill. :grump:

My Mum loved it all though, ha.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    1983 wrote: »
    What I meant was could I bake the onions in with the sausages if I wrapped them alll up in a sausage and onion tinfoil parcel in the oven?

Thats what my mum used to do - wicked it is :heart:
  • Options
    The only way I am allowed to do sausages is to grill them then cut them in half and fry them on the inside - if I don't I get complaints :)
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Fry some onions until brown (you need to get the sugar out and caramalise) then add a level tablespoon of flour. Fry for another minute and gradually add 3/4 pint of stock, stirring all the time. Allow to simmer for 3 minutes (to cook the flour).

Vary the flour/stock for a thicker or thinner gravy. Personally i like my gravy in slices :)

Its best to use corn flour, then you dont get lumps.
  • Options

me to
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    For onion gracy a use a 50/50 mix of standard onions and red onions. Chop em up quite roughly add them to hot butter in a pan until they start to brown and then turn the heat right down, after a while add garlic then a bit of stock and flour and then let it reduce right down. Bit of salt and a bit of pepper.
    It takes time, you can't make good onion gravy quickly. Never found I needed sugar.

I've never needed to use sugar.

Sometimes I use a little marmite too.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Who said to add sugar ?
  • Options
    1983 wrote: »
    they weren't all that crispy on the outside. I fried them with mushrooms and onions

Onions and, mushrooms particualry, contain a lot of water. By frying them with the sausages you're reducing the heat of the frying pan. Water boils at a lower temperature than oil, so the frying pan will stay at 100c until all the water is evaporated. Try frying sausages (the best way, though not the healthiest) just on their own, will oil not butter as butter will burn.
  • Options
    You did!

• Options
    lea_uk wrote: »
    You did!

Onion contains loads of sugar and it caramalises on it's own, that's what he meant I think.

A lot of people do add a little brown sugar to onion gravy, though I've never found the need.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    lea_uk wrote: »
    You did!

No. You need to read the post better, it doesn't say add sugar. As Skive said, onions contain a lot of sugar, and to make something like like onion gravy you need to get the sugar out and caramalised to make a better falvour and colour.
  • Options
    Come to my hometown, we've a pub called The Sausage Tree, dedicated to sausages :D
  • Options
    You only need to add sugar to caramalise the onions which is what he is saying the post. To fry you just use oil/butter.
  • Options
    piecesofme wrote: »
    You only need to add sugar to caramalise the onions which is what he is saying the post.

That's not what he's saying at all. :p
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »

:yes:

Confusing me how people are unable to grasp this as his post is quite clear to me.

ONIONS HAVE SUGAR IN THEM.

*ta-da*
  • Options
    g_angel wrote: »
    ONIONS HAVE SUGAR IN THEM.

*ta-da*

:thumb:
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »