Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Tories to ban...

Kind of worrying isn't it. They've only started to win back seats and to have a realistic chance of winning the next election, and judging by threads on this forum they've already got a lot of things lined up to ban.

Proof definitive in my opinion that it'd be really bad news for everyone if they're returned to power.

It's not me saying it. It's thesite.org. Listen to it for our children's sake!

:p
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The IVF article, isn't that actually in some senses the law getting lighter on lesbians? Yes it should be scrapped but labour have not done so in the time they've been in office.

Politics just seems like a big game anyway, the ones who take it too seriously are the ones being played. Look at all the issues that get discussed, they only are discussed if it's relevent to political popularity. We're one of the few countries in the world where you still need a licence to own a TV! When was the last time anyone brought that up in parliament?
  • Options
    News just in: "Tories to ban threads on Internet discussion boards which talk about why the Tories are currently so keen on banning things".
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Kind of worrying isn't it. They've only started to win back seats and to have a realistic chance of winning the next election, and judging by threads on this forum they've already got a lot of things lined up to ban.

Proof definitive in my opinion that it'd be really bad news for everyone if they're returned to power.

It's not me saying it. It's thesite.org. Listen to it for our children's sake!

:p

Given you want to ban an entire political party doesn't this strike you as ironic?

They also want to ban ID cards, 40 day detention orders - which strikes me as slightly more important than your right to get pissed on the tube
  • Options
    What happens when they run out of things to ban ...i mean the list is getting shorter by the day?
  • Options
    They moan about Labour banning things, and then the second they get a bit of influence, they do exactly the same thing. And for one reason: it gives the impression that you're doing something and creates a quick headline. Has everyone forgot things like the video nasties? What in the Conservatives past or current record makes people think that they're in favour of personal freedoms in any way? The only personal freedom that the conservatives have ever been in favour of is the freedom of those with money to do what they want with it.
  • Options
    Given you want to ban an entire political party doesn't this strike you as ironic?

They also want to ban ID cards, 40 day detention orders - which strikes me as slightly more important than your right to get pissed on the tube

they won't ban id cards they said they wont go through with them, slightly different ideas, and they might keep the database itself still without the cards
  • Options

It was tongue in cheek you humourless git :p
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    News just in: "Tories to ban threads on Internet discussion boards which talk about why the Tories are currently so keen on banning things".
    The Tories have it in for me :(
  • Options
    i was going to reply with a thread entitled: "torys ban everything" before reading this...

it just feels like they want a very authoritiarian society where they control almost everything and it all very white upper middle class...

hmmmm
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    It was tongue in cheek you humourless git :p

So you're saying you think it's good news?;)
  • Options
    Some things will be I have no doubt. In the long term it's all about opposing parties changing some of the previous government's policies and so long as you only get mainstream parties in power that don't have too extreme policies, things kind of even out in the end.
  • Options
    bullshit. socially parties rarely change anything a previous government did, they just add to it. a new tory government won't undo many labour bans just as labour didnt undo many (any?) tory bans. ban ban ban. who cares blame your new power over people on someone else...
  • Options
    I disagree. It's not a common occurrence but it happens. Section 28 was one example done by Labour. Independence of the Bank of England another. The Tories could well overturn the ban on fox hunting and would almost certainly get rid of inheritance tax.
  • Options
    Governments change legislation all the time - I worked on the Homelessness Act which overturned sections of the Tories 1996 Housing Act.

In fact if you stay in power long enough you change your own legislation - Government is consulting on changes to Regional Development Agencies act - which was introduced in 1998.
  • Options
    I defy anyone to read Ian Duncan Smiths report into social welfare and not be deeply afraid, I havent read a more misguided and nasty report.

Flashman - as to Regional Development Agencies, did you know the part time head of one of those claimed more in taxi expenses than all MP's combined.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    I defy anyone to read Ian Duncan Smiths report into social welfare and not be deeply afraid, I havent read a more misguided and nasty report.

Flashman - as to Regional Development Agencies, did you know the part time head of one of those claimed more in taxi expenses than all MP's combined.

Which one? I don't deal with the corporate side, but how they link into local authorities on economic development.
  • Options
    Which one? I don't deal with the corporate side, but how they link into local authorities on economic development.

This File on Four explains it all a lot better than me, if you are interested there is a transcript of the show which was really good.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/file_on_4/7275073.stm
  • Options
    At the risk of going off-topic I'm not sure I have a problem with the first instance. It makes sense - you're dealing with top business people and whilst it might be nice to think they're all going to pop over to a grotty community centre in Kent, it isn't going to happen.

On the Rugby, if he was going in an official capacity it seems fair that he can claim expenses. We pay these people a lot of money to deal with top business people and improve the regional economy through investment, totalling hundreds of millions, if not billions of pounds. A few hundred for a taxi palls in comparison

ETA I see Mr Baker hasn't read the review of sub-national economic development and regeneration or he'd know all about the scrutiny arrangements and how that's now to be done by elected authorities (on top of select committees and the RDA's accountability to Govt Ministers)

Further ETA - I probably should stop commenting on this as I try to avoid mixing Govt views and my own on forums
  • Options
    That maybe the case, but surely over £50k is a little too much to claim in taxi expenses for one year in a part time role.

I recommend you read the transcript, it was an interesting and in depth show.