Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Does this really need an apology?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Barack Obama apologized to a female new reporter after calling her sweetie. God, if Boris Johnson had to apologise after every comment that was this tame, he'd never be off the TV. The woman in question didn't complain and said she was surprised that he apologized. I can see why he did it, but is there actually anything wrong with saying it in the first place? Or is it sexist or patronising or both?

Comments

• Options
    I think I read somewhere that she wasn't particularly bothered about it. Perhaps he was just pre-empting any fallout. Seems silly, though.
  • Options
    It's election season - whether the comment was right or wrong it could still be used by Clinton and McCain so his team is going to be ready with an apology for anything 5 minutes after he's done it. With it being the press they aren't going to take any chances.

I mean, bear in mind he's probably got a staff of what, hundreds? by now - so every word he says to everyone is going to be checked for anything that might be a problem.

And like anything - to me it could be patronising, it could be insulting and it could be fine - pretty much it's the context and the intention that determines that rather than a particular word used.
  • Options
    I got called love the otherday by this girl when I bought a sandwich from the shop :(
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I got called love the otherday by this girl when I bought a sandwich from the shop :(
    The fiend! :p
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    And like anything - to me it could be patronising, it could be insulting and it could be fine - pretty much it's the context and the intention that determines that rather than a particular word used.

Strongly agree.

When the old dear next door calls me "poppet" it's meant with affection and i enjoy being called it - context and intent is everything.
  • Options
    Strongly agree.

When the old dear next door calls me "poppet" it's meant with affection and i enjoy being called it - context and intent is everything.

Aww Poppet! ;)
  • Options
    Strongly agree.

How dare you call her an old dear.
  • Options
    How dare you call her an old dear.

He meant if affectionately, sweetie. ;):p
  • Options
    The woman later said that she'd been called much worse - which I found hillarious.
  • Options
    depends on the context.
    If someone in a position of power calls someone an overly familiar term like that, then it generally IS a bit patronising. I wouldnt like it.
    Its different if its amongst friends or two people on an equal footing like strangers chatting.
    You wouldnt call your boss sweetie if you werent also friends, it would imply lack of respect, so a boss shouldnt do it to an employee either as its like hes looking down on them so considering the two didnt know each other, thats a habit he should get out of.

It isnt the crime of the century though
  • Options
    I was in Leeds recently and the blokes called me 'love'.

I think if Barack feels the need to apologise for everything he'll loose, because he just seems weak and unwilling to confront problems. His stock rose when he defended his pastor and showed that he was willing to stand by people/issues.
  • Options
    I think if Barack feels the need to apologise for everything he'll loose, because he just seems weak and unwilling to confront problems. His stock rose when he defended his pastor and showed that he was willing to stand by people/issues.

He looked weak and unwilling to confront problems when he refused to denounce his freak of a pastor. His stock actually rose when he finally came out and denounced him properly.
  • Options
    Runnymede wrote: »
    He looked weak and unwilling to confront problems when he refused to denounce his freak of a pastor. His stock actually rose when he finally came out and denounced him properly.

I disagree. i was impressed that he didn't drop someone at first sign of controversy same as I've always had a soft spot for Diana Abbott for sticking by Jonathan Aitken because they were friends. loyalty is an undervalued virtue.
  • Options
    When someone apologises to someone for saying something that is ocasionally seen as offensive, the other person usually attemts to reassure them, which can lead to a friendship that wouldn't exist otherwise. Maybe he was trying to gain this woman's support? He could have gained votes from radical feminists by doing this.
  • Options
    When someone apologises to someone for saying something that is ocasionally seen as offensive, the other person usually attemts to reassure them, which can lead to a friendship that wouldn't exist otherwise. Maybe he was trying to gain this woman's support? He could have gained votes from radical feminists by doing this.

She's an American journo - chances are she's a Democrat already...
  • Options

The chances are that feminists, radical or otherwise, do not devote much time to thinking about the word "sweetie", and would see it as a given that you shouldn't really be using patronising words like that; not as a major selling point for him that he apologised for doing so.

So when is Hillary stepping down?
  • Options
    The chances are that feminists, radical or otherwise, do not devote much time to thinking about the word "sweetie", and would see it as a given that you shouldn't really be using patronising words like that; not as a major selling point for him that he apologised for doing so.

So when is Hillary stepping down?

I know some pretty strange radical feminists who believe this was his way of admitting that men use every aspect of society of oppress women and are completely wrong and idiotic and basicly inferior in every way possible. I know the people who think this are in the minority, but I'm sure some of them live in America.
  • Options
    Well, it was only a matter of time before some politically correct, braindead robot went to the press and claimed that his comment was "derogatory" or "sexist" - presumably on the grounds that the robots in question are often referred to by far less flattering terms.

I certainly wouldn't have said sorry about this, not in a million years. But ultimately, this was Obama's decision and I won't criticise him for it.