Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Being emotional

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
When things go wrong for me or I'm stressed I always get emotional and I really want to toughen up. Has anyone got any tips on how to do this or give me a different way of thinking about things? I wish I was stronger and could communicate how I'm feeling without crying. It's embarrassing in work situations and I feel like it makes me immature. For example, I had £150 taken from my pay packet this month for being off sick (I'm just short of being with the company 6months so don't get SSP) and when I went to speak to my director about it I started crying. I have to go speak to another director in a bit to see if i can get some of it back but I'm worried I'm gona get upset again!

Comments

• Options
    I have no tips but I am exactly the same.

I feel like a little girl. I fainted at work a couple of weeks ago then couldnt stop crying, very embaressing.
  • Options
    I get like this especially in tough situations that I don't know how to handle. I just try and take some deep breaths and make sure I know what I'm going to say. I find that if I plan what to say then I can get it all out quickly before needing to cry. Taking deep breaths can help keep the tears back.
  • Options
    oh god im exactly the same. i was thinking of making a thread like this actually! the other day at work a manager had a small go at me (for something i hadnt done) and as i walked off i started crying, i felt SO stupid, i was trying my best not to but it just happened, sometimes i think im just quite soft really.

sorry im not very useful though.
  • Options
    I'm the same

Must be a girl thing :(
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    I'm the same

Must be a girl thing :(

I think it is. I even have feel myself getting to the stage where I could cry if I'm asked (told) to do something when I've got a billion things that already need doing.

Used to be like it at school when I got told off haha:blush:
  • Options
    It's definitely a girl thing. I have no advice at all as I don't (nor does any bloke I know) have this problem.

Must be annoying.
  • Options
    I'm the same. Quite often if I'm angry or frustrated that comes out in tears too. It's a bit annoying, especially when trying to make a point.
    Like piecesofme said, I just try to take deep breaths, or take a moment to focus on what I'm trying to say.
  • Options
    Not just a girly thing cause I'm the same aswell :o

It's coming out at work quite a bit too, the other week new people joined our team and I had a falling out over nothing with this girl in the team who I love to bits. I went off in a strop and got all emotional, the new people must think I'm a right loser!

Anything especially bothering you justnow? When it comes to a situation wen you feel emotional then take deep breaths and try and tell yourself that it doesn't really matter enough to get yourself upset over.
  • Options
    God, I'm the same. I think it's cause I bottle a lot up and over analyse everything in my head and then it comes out in this inarticulate girly mess when the crunch comes.

I don't have any tips I'm afraid. :( Perhaps try and run over the problem to yourself a few times in the mirror before you handle it with said bosses?

A trick I've learnt from my Dad is to shift blame, "Do you think I'm being unreasonable for acting this way given x, y and z?" but it's best you don't just come out with just the letters and are able to justify it, because they'll think you're being a blubbering female and somewhat mental. :razz:
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    Not just a girly thing cause I'm the same aswell :o

But then... you always have been sbeshul. ;)
  • Options
    I have nothing really useful to add but guess what...I'm the same too. It really annoys me. I hate the fact I can't get across what's making me angry/frustrated or talk about it rationally without dissolving into tears - it makes me feel immature and pathetic too. I wish I knew a way to stop it. Had a similar thing to FireyFirenze the other day - one of the managers in work kind of half-told me off for having done something wrong, even though nobody had thought to tell me the right way and so it wasn't my fault and that set me off. Luckily I managed to hold out until I got to the toilets but even crying where nobody could see me made me feel stupid. I've always been this way though and at 27 I doubt I'm ever going to change :(
  • Options
    im the same too. Im pathetic lol.
    Im terrible for crying if im embarrassed or especially if i think someone doesnt like me. Cried at work loads of times. Im such a wuss
  • Options
    Well I asked my director to help me out and give me some money back and she said she's gona see what she can do whcih means yes, I just don't know how much. So that's good.

And i managed to keep it together! Well almost :lol: My voice went a bit shaky at the end but no tears.
  • Options
    I'm the same too! Are we all wusses?

I make it worse for myself cause I try desperately to hold it in, which just makes my bottom lip shake. I must look like a toddler :o
  • Options
    I do it too. Mostly when I get really angry, which is usually when I'm at work because of one particular manager. It's annoying because crying would just make her be even more of a cunt so I have to try and hold it in so I just breeeeeeeeeathe.
  • Options
    me too. although i manage to hold it in for ages so when it all comes out im literally hysterically. not a good look..
  • Options
    i do it too. it really suprises people because i come across the complete opposite most of the time, but its all just a front. I think it really shocks some people when they see a vulnerable side,and i dont think thats always such a bad thing.
  • Options
    Ohh it's good to see tons of people have this too! I'm the same and my bottom lip starts to go all wobbly and arghh!!!
  • Options
    Me too! I'm a bit better now than I used to be but I used to be awful. I cried in a photoprinting shop, I cried in front of my manager at work too :( argh!
  • Options
    Yer i have the same problem, not as bad now as it used to be. Worst is when someone is disappointed. Thinking of something more important can help to put it into perspective.

I think we should CELEBRATE how emotional we are. Even though I cry I also feel a lot of passion for life and really happy and positive lots of the time. And crying means you care, and it is good to care about life.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    add one more to the list!! I am terrible!

I cried in work yesterday coz I didnt feel well - what a loser! Then I cried walking down the road on the phone.

I am just one big wimp!
  • Options
    add me to the list... Britain's got Talent auditions make me cry...i mean obviously when someone's got their dream thru hardships, lots of ppl get teary, but even just seeing the old people etc...
  • Options
    I'm getting £100 which is nice and i got a rise :) I think a lot of it is to do with experience aswell, hopefully i'll harden up as i go along.

but it's good to see others are the same!
  • Options
    lipsy wrote: »
    I'm getting £100 which is nice and i got a rise :) I think a lot of it is to do with experience aswell, hopefully i'll harden up as i go along.

but it's good to see others are the same!
    Nice one! :thumb:
  • Options
    I think most girls are emotional, I know I am. None of my friends seem to be though like whenever we're watching a sad film I'll be the only one welling up and they tend to just laugh at me :blush:

If I'm on or hungover for some reason that makes me even more emotional. I had to stop myself from fully crying round my mates house on sunday when I found out Portsmouth lost.

I don't think there's anything that can stop it except for thinking of something really funny.
  • Options
    I cried when I couldn't find my way the the garage the other day, it was impossible to find though!

I also cry and stuff on the tv a lot, but silly stuff like when Debra in coal house was crying cos she was proud of her children singing, and at stupid stuff like neighbours haha
  • Options
    Wow - it would really piss me off crying all the time :S