Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Poncy sandwiches

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm currently eating a beef sandwich, with lettace, horseradish sauce and English mustard mayonaisse. Is it just me, or are there some really frustrated chefs working in the sandwich-making business. Does anyone else get annoyed that you can't buy a sandwich in a shop that isn't just one ingredient between two bits of bread?

Jesus Christ, it's got cress in it too.

Comments

• Options
    God help me, I love poncy sarnies.

There's a deli near my work that does the best beef, coarse mustard and balsamic rosated onion butty :yum:

So to anwer your question: no. And your sandwich sounds fucking delicious.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Shouldnt go to such poncy places then :p
  • Options
    I'd rather a poncy sandwich than a boring uninspired one
  • Options
    JsT wrote: »
    Shouldnt go to such poncy places then :p

Tesco?
  • Options
    I do get annoyed sometimes when all I want is a ham sarnie and nowhere has just ham. Tesco do "Just Cheese" but I think it's got mayo in it as well. I think. I also get annoyed when a sandwich sounds really really good but it's always got something in it that I don't like :(.
  • Options
    I quite like poncy sandwiches, as long as they're not a poncy pricy.
  • Options
    I absolutely hate the ponced up side of cooking.

Ponced up sarnies, the debate in question, aren't too bad as long as they're not crammed full of different things so you can't taste anything. Beef and hoseradish or mustard is fine but you find beef, horseradish, mustard, onion chutney, tomatoe, lettuce, cucmber and fucking balsamic something or other and it's just a fuck up of overwhelming tastes.

And as for restaurants they drive me mad. All this faffing about making towers of crap on you plate and swirling sauces round to look pretty that you need to mop up with a slice of bread to get any taste of them. 'Presentation is everything' they say, bollocks, if it was you could sell cat food on toast and they'd still be coming back for more.

And menus. I know lets make it in French so it all sounds extra good 'la tarte de viande et pomme de terre avec frittes' meat and potato pie and chips ! Or why not put half the ingredients down as the name of it, 'poached cod and baby onions in a creamy white wine sauce with a mashed potato topping' yeah, fish pie.

And another thing, baby vegetables. Why ? They taste like crap because they have no discernable taste of their own because they haven't been allowed to grow but look nice n poncy on the plate.

And gravy, why do they smother your dinner in gravy ? If i wanted everything to look and taste the same i'd eat baby food.

:)
  • Options
    That sandwich sounds really plain and boring to begin with,doesn't even have a tomato. I'd hate to think what you thought of a real good sandwich.

And I hope you'd never pay for a piece of meat between bread kind of sandwich! Imagine the rip off that would be.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    I do get annoyed sometimes when all I want is a ham sarnie and nowhere has just ham. Tesco do "Just Cheese" but I think it's got mayo in it as well. I think. I also get annoyed when a sandwich sounds really really good but it's always got something in it that I don't like :(.

I'm like this.

I like the chicken mayo on white from hampsons at the mo - like mega addicted to it. I don't want lettuce and tomatoes and shit on it I just like chicken and mayo and bread.
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »

And menus. I know lets make it in French so it all sounds extra good 'la tarte de viande et pomme de terre avec frittes' meat and potato pie and chips ! Or why not put half the ingredients down as the name of it, 'poached cod and baby onions in a creamy white wine sauce with a mashed potato topping' yeah, fish pie.

:lol: Couldn't agree more.
  • Options
    There are two decent sandwich shops in Cam, both very close to my dept and both sell sandwiches that have what they say on the label, and a couple of lettuce leave.

:D
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    :yes: And I'm really fussy - can't eat cucumber or tomato and don't eat meat or fish. Oh, and I hate pickle.

I'm condemned to a life of egg and cress.
  • Options
    *Ashley* wrote: »
    I'm like this.

I like the chicken mayo on white from hampsons at the mo - like mega addicted to it. I don't want lettuce and tomatoes and shit on it I just like chicken and mayo and bread.

Yeah, I am not a fan of shit in my food.

• Options
    I like some of them but I think they can be a bit over the top, it is just a sandwhich and it ten minutes time it will be eaten and forgotton. Then if someone askes you what you've had for lunch you're hardly gonna reply,
    'Cumberland sausage with organic tomarto sauce with a iceburg lettuce leaves' more likely to say 'Sausage sarnie with too much salad crap.'
  • Options
    i find it annoying when you go to tescos or somewhere like that and you cant find a cheese and ham sandwich. its always some fancy cheese with fancy ham, with fancy tomotoes and some other vegetables that no ones heard of!

then after all that its wrapped in some fancy, organic, home produced, 2 days old, farm house mature brown bread!

Can i just have plain white bread please? :)
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I like Greggs for simple no poncy stuff.

• Options
    Although there is definitely room in my life for a good old butty, I'm quite partial to poncy sandwiches. I also like salad in my sandwiches, it makes it much more exiting and tasy.
  • Options
    I like some of them but I think they can be a bit over the top, it is just a sandwhich and it ten minutes time it will be eaten and forgotton. Then if someone askes you what you've had for lunch you're hardly gonna reply,
    'Cumberland sausage with organic tomarto sauce with a iceburg lettuce leaves' more likely to say 'Sausage sarnie with too much salad crap.'

Errr.... Nope! :)

Thing is, going by your logic here, I can go out for an expensive meal and then think 'Oh no, it's going to be eaten and forgotten soon, it was just a meal. What was the point?!'. A sandwich can hit sooooo many levels of excellence. A meal in itself.

You gets what you orders/pays for. Most sandwiches with different (or poncy...) ingredients appeal to my tastebuds far more than just a cheese sandwich, for example. Parma ham, mozerella and sun-dried tomatoes on granary is one of my current favourites from a little italian joint round the corner from my office. I certainly wouldn't describe that to somebody as 'ham, cheese and tomato', or 'Ham and some other crap' as it sounds so plain, and wouldn't be descriptively accurate.
  • Options
    I'd seriously begrudge paying for a sandwich with just one filling. Waste of money, I could have made it myself
  • Options
    I like poncy sandwiches, it's something different from the same old!