Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Muslim Comics

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What do you feel comfortable with them talking about in their sets...

i saw a guy the other day who i thought was pretty hilarious, but you could kind of tell that some of the audience was not too fond of his subject matter..i bring this up because my friend sent me a link to a new PBS doc about muslim comedians...i wanted to know what others thought..

Comments

• Options
    That Iranian chap, Omid Djalili is funny, never had any problems with his jokes.
  • Options
    Who did you see? Makes your post look pretty spammy when you don't mention the actual name of the comic that caused the division in the audience.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Jim V wrote: »
    Who did you see? Makes your post look pretty spammy when you don't mention the actual name of the comic that caused the division in the audience.

That^

I like them. Who cares? Comedy as said in another topic is about being crude and offensive to some, but in a satirical manner. There IS taking it too far though. But very few comics do, and those that do aren't often succesful.

I like Omid Djalili though, he is awesome.
  • Options

i saw a guy the other day who i thought was pretty hilarious, but you could kind of tell that some of the audience was not too fond of his subject matter..i bring this up because my friend sent me a link to a new PBS doc about muslim comedians...i wanted to know what others thought..

The same shit i'm happy with any other comedian talking about in their set - which is pretty much anything.
  • Options
    If they are funny they are, if they aren't then they aren't. Subject matter is often very little, its all about presentation and timing. I've not seen many middle eastern comics, how many are muslim, I don't know but the axis of evil tour made my sides hurt from laughter!
  • Options
    Omid Djalili is an absolute fruitcake - which is why I enjoy his comedy so much. I've also seen Shazia Mirza on TV before, and she was very good.
  • Options
    Omid Djalili isn't a muslim.
  • Options
    any comic who gets gigs based on their minority status isn't that good normally

being original and actually funny is what gets gigs

that djali guy is good
  • Options
    What's offensive and what isnt really depends on the context and who says it, so I dont really see any topic being off limits.

You only have to listen to quite a lot of Stuart Lee's sets to realise that difficult topics can be covered as long as it done well.

I once saw a pilot for a radio 4 comedy where there was a running joke about vellodromes and rape - but it worked because it was done well.
  • Options
    I saw a hilarious Indian American comic (can't remember his name and no... not a Muslim)... omfg haha.
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    I saw a hilarious Indian American comic (can't remember his name and no... not a Muslim)... omfg haha.

:rolleyes: .... yessssss .. very relevant. :p;)
  • Options

There's actually a new comedy made in Canada which is starting to get a dedicated following as people find out about it .. I think it's in it's 3rd season now.

http://tinyurl.com/2gqxmc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_I4YrgGHCXE

http://tinyurl.com/2hgjng

• Options
    That Omid fella is absolutely woeful. Don't know any Muslim comics but I don't have a problem with them, why would I?
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »

My bad, didnt mean to sound spammy, the guy i was referencing was Aman Ali..

I realized later on that i'd actually seen one of the guys in the pbs special i was mentioning, ahmed ahmed...he killed the venues i was at (NY/NJ), and there didnt seem to be anyone concerned with what he was saying.
  • Options
    I'd like to see some.I like to go to comedy and they often seem to make *hilarious* jokes about Muslims and I sometimes wish there would be an Islamic heckler in the audience. But considering comedy clubs tend to serve alcohol and attract a drunken lot, I suppose very religious Muslims wouldn't go there.
  • Options
    Islamic heckler...cant say ive seen one of those yet...but im sure its possible. I thought the pbs special was actually pretty well done...could have stood be a little longer, but thats really picking nits...the stuff on the female comedian that was stricken with cerebral palsy was pretty compelling.