Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

This is sad...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Click

And says a lot about the self-esteem of these children.

Comments

• Options
    :-(
  • Options
    I didn't watch the whole thing but maybe they are just choosing the white doll because most of the dolls they see in the shops are white.

I think that asking questions about "which doll is the bad one?" after they've already asked which doll they prefer is quite leading.

Hmm I just dunno what I think about it as an experiment/research really.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I saw that the first time it was posted... I was very shocked. :(
  • Options
    RaggyDoll wrote: »
    I didn't watch the whole thing but maybe they are just choosing the white doll because most of the dolls they see in the shops are white.

I think that asking questions about "which doll is the bad one?" after they've already asked which doll they prefer is quite leading.

Hmm I just dunno what I think about it as an experiment/research really.

I thought that.

A lot of critism for even very famous experiments from highly knowelegable people (obv not me cos I can't spell) say that the way in which the child is asked is critical. And she seems to be misleading them in the way and order she asks them.
    It's similiar to Piaget's conservation experiments.

I don't think it is wholly down to self-esteem if not the media and and world around them. Asking them the bad or ugly or whatever they said doll is quite a contriversal thing to ask - and it is highly debatable if the children's answer were true or what they think they should have been saying. Which is always the case in such experiments.
  • Options
    I had a thought that the study could be flawed, there's a lot of variables that on it's own the data doesn't account for. But it's still sad :(