Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

latex allergy

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i recently dicovered i have n allergy to latex (which started suddenly as never had a problem b4) as in the latex gloves as when ever i use them ( my job requires me to use them) my skin becomes really sore and peels. i was just wondering if there is any chance i would have the same reaction if my partner was so use a condom, if yes is there an alternative i can use, i am already on the pill.

Comments

• Options
    Someone will come along to tell me off soon but

I say that if your on the pill, and he's your partner as in your in a trusting relationship. Go get checked out - get the all clear and then you don't need to bother with condoms at all.

Otherwise, I am sure there are non-latex condoms avaliable.
  • Options
    there's non latex condoms :)
  • Options
    im allergic to latex too - wear gloves or masks or whatnot for too long and my skin goes all itchy and tomato red :no:

personally tho, even tho im allergic to the gloves, condoms have never been a problem (the whole TWO times that ive used them :yeees: )

Just to be on the safe side tho, id go out and buy non-latex ones. boots does them!! or if not that, then just get urself checked out and just use the pill.
    thats what i did, and everythings worked out ok :)
  • Options
    You can get non-latex ones free from family planning or wherever else you'd normally get your free condoms from, just ask.
  • Options
    you might do, you might not. Some people find they cant wear latex gloves etc yet are fine with small amounts of latex, ie the elastic in their underwear doesnt cause a reaction. Youd have to try and see what works and what doesnt
  • Options
    maybe you should do a little 24hr test, same as you would for hair yde. I know I wouldn't want to risk a full blown allergic reaction inside my foo foo.
  • Options
    Latex free condoms are available. I'm not allergic to latex on my skin but I cant use latex condoms without a nasty reaction.
  • Options
    if i remember they are cheaper and thinner than normal ones...
  • Options
    ^^

I wish.....

I am also allergic to latex :D

First things first, you need to stop wearing latex gloves right now. Your work probably shouldn't be using them any more anyway, and if they are bringing you out in a rash they are obliged to supply you with an alternative. Vinyl or nitrile are the standard options for latex free gloves.

Some people have problems with gloves, powered ones in particular, but are fine with other forms of latex.

From the contraception point of view you have several options.
    1. Like others have mentioned, if you're reliably taking the pill, committed relationship, both tested and clear for STIs etc etc then you could not use them.

2. You try out standard ones and see how things go, generally people have less of a problem with condoms than they do with gloves, partly because fluids act as a kind of barrier layer.

3. You buy your own latex free condoms. The durex ones are called Avanti, come in reddish/purple boxes, in 2's or 5's and cost more than the standard ones.

4. You get free ones from your GP/family planning clinic/GUM clinic/uni. How hard this is varies from place to place. Some clinics are far better at co operating with latex allergies and condoms than others.