Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Tiscali - Anyone with them?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What are they like? Especially customer services if you have a problem and also for the phone service?

Looking at the combined £14.99 a month package which includes internet, phone line rental and free weekend calls

Comments

• Options
    i used them for a few months, would not recomend, customer services are an absolute shambles and the internet connection isn't much better, my net speed was diabolicle, about 200kbs ish and fluxuating on a 8meg line (most i got was 3meg) they blamed my line saying it was the best i could get and refused to send an engineer out, changed providers and wow, i got 7.9meg constant,

they tried to charge me for leaving untill i stated there own terms and conditiond, the staff are rude, un helpfull and annoying.
  • Options
    well it's not for myself it's for a friend who's only getting 3.5 mb/s anyway from his current ISP (from a max of 8mb/s) and a light user of about 1GB to 3GB at the most per month.

They're currently paying £15 a month for internet and another £11/£12 or so for BT Line rental

You didn't say who you changed to
  • Options
    DG wrote: »
    well it's not for myself it's for a friend who's only getting 3.5 mb/s anyway from his current ISP (from a max of 8mb/s) and a light user of about 1GB to 3GB at the most per month.

They're currently paying £15 a month for internet and another £11/£12 or so for BT Line rental

You didn't say who you changed to

My Neighbour whose computer I usually fix, uses Tiscali and they are really helpful to them.
  • Options
    Yeah my other friend has been with them for years but he's not on the package that includes telephone services.
  • Options
    When i was with them a few years back the customer service was poor when i was trying to get help and then when cancelling. I also only managed to get 2mb speed with them and now im with sky i get a full 8mb so i know it was possible and for some reason they didnt give me 8mb
  • Options
    I hear that the service level is OK... while you are their customer.

Good luck with trying to migrate away from then :-)
  • Options
    The problem with most of these packages is you get tied into a contract... :(

Sky were doing a good one, there's a website 'adslguide' that is pretty comprehensive. Tbh though, ISPs just go through BT, they use BT's infrastructure, so the bandwidth shouldn't theoretically change unless you for example switch to cable. The other advantage with cable is you can hack it, as one of my friends has to get 24mbit/s bandwidth. Not too shabby!
  • Options
    Yeah, im just echoing whats already been said i fear.

My girlfriend is with them, and on the whole the service has been "okay" she's been with them about 2 years and the internet has gone down twice, each time for a few days. (I'm with ntl, now Virgin) have been for about 6 years, and aside from the first 6 months when it went down once or twice, it's had no major problems since, nothing worse than having to turn off the router for a minute or two (which is clearly just one of those things my end) and even in those early days when i had to ring them for support, despite other peoples horror stories at the time, they were helpful on the phone.

Whenever i've spoken to Tiscali on the phone, (trying to establish weather they are having problems, making upgrades, or its with BT and their lines) they've been clueless. Whenever they pick up i make the point that i have tried on more than one occasion to disconnect the power to the router, disconnect it from the phone line and the PC for several minutes - to which they always make me do it again while im on the phone.

I explain that i worked in IT for several years but, follow their instructions any way, when it still doesn't work, i ask them bluntly if they are aware of others having problems, or BT making upgrades etc....

They then ask if i have any wireless devices on the phone line, or Sky etc...
    So i then explain i have, but they have been on the line for 2 years and have worked perfectly well along side it so they are not the problem, they insist they are, i explain that this has happen before, they said the same thing and it wasn't the problem then and it isn't now.

To which the call centre operative in asia merely says "hmmmm" down the phone, which leads to me saying that when i was on hold for the 20 minutes trying to get through to them, messing around disconnecting everything yet again dispite having told them that i had done it just before i rang on more than one occasion, and listening to them blaming something which has worked perfectly well along side the internet for a number of years, i dont expect to be met with a "hmmm" to summerise their distinct lack of knowledge.

They are utterly clueless, even when you do all the work for them they still make you waste 10 minutes rather than looking further in to the problem.

I asked the retard on the phone polite if she could arrange for somebody in the next level of support to give me a call but surprise, surprise they never did.

Two days later the service worked again. has been trouble free ever since but that was only 6 months or so ago, im sure it'll happen again.
  • Options
    My parents are with them for broadband and apparently it's next to useless some times you can't even get on to the internet let alone get a good speed.
  • Options
    My Dad has Tiscali and he's only had a speed issue once or twice within the last 3 years or so.