Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Computer Problem

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok so just wondering if any of you knew what this was, basically got a Dell desktop which is only a few months old, put it on today and it said on the start-up that the computer was unable to start, it then said it would automatically repair the problem and within a few minutes the computer started up fine. Any of you got any ideas of what this may be because its near-enough brand new? thanks :)

Comments

• Options
    Probably wasn't shut down properly and wanted to scan the disk or something. If it's working, why worry :D
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Probably wasn't shut down properly and wanted to scan the disk or something. If it's working, why worry :D
    i think shyboy is right, if u have fat 32 file system, it may be like that but if you hae NTFS, then may be something else.
  • Options
    My PC has done it a few times, i think the fact that Microsoft have released an OS that is capable of fixing itself and restoring to previous points automatically speaks volumes.

I love the auto-defrag feature as well. Onl;y problem I'm having is with auto-updating a specific update.
  • Options
    We had a batch of Asus desktops/laptops that would constantly call for Check Disk upon start-up. The problem was always fixed by converting the file system to NTFS (as Asus always format their systems to FAT32).

Open up a DOS box and write "convert c: /fs:ntfs" without the quotes. After the prompt asks you for the volume name, put N for force dismount and Y to have it scheduled on the next restart.
  • Options
    Monserrat wrote: »
    We had a batch of Asus desktops/laptops that would constantly call for Check Disk upon start-up. The problem was always fixed by converting the file system to NTFS (as Asus always format their systems to FAT32).

Open up a DOS box and write "convert c: /fs:ntfs" without the quotes. After the prompt asks you for the volume name, put N for force dismount and Y to have it scheduled on the next restart.

Hold on there, I wouldn't go around converting anything if it's all working happily, there are a lot of variables and tinkering around with it now it's working ok could just cause more problems. That's just my experience though, it's ALWAYS when you're 'improving' something that it goes wrong.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the replies, its working fine now, just had a bit of a drama moment I think :D