Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Software firewall or stick with router?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi guys

I'm using a Netgear wireless router from AOL for my laptop. My question is do I need a software firewall (such as the in-built Windows jobbie) or does the router take care of that sort of thing?

Comments

• Options
    router should suffice really.
    depends on your needs really
  • Options
    router will be fine

a software firewall waits for connections to get to your computer to open them or not. a router does this but in hardware, it will only open connections your computer opens itself (or, if you set up port forwarding for certain applications, like p2p)

I've used a router for years and never had need for a software firewall.
  • Options
    The router will generally be better than any software firewall because (unless you're running the firewall on a seperate PC) by the time stuff hits your software firewall it's already got to your PC.

However, router firewalls generally only protect against inbound threats. It's up to you to prevent your computer sending crap out (to which the router will allow replies).
  • Options
    OK cheers for that. I don't want this to turn in to a debate over which firewall is any good but I've been swapping between Zone Alarm and the Windows firewall a lot recently (bourne out of equal measures of boredom and paranoia) and read about routers providing adequate security against hackers etc.

I don't really have anything to hide but I don't want some spotty little chav nosing about in my machine.

The only thing which would annoy me if I removed ZA and switched the built-in firewall off would be the constant security warnings from Vista.
  • Options
    i'd stick with ZA just to be on the safe side incase you have any nasty trojans etc tryin to go outbound
  • Options
    firewall
    Hi guys

I'm using a Netgear wireless router from AOL for my laptop. My question is do I need a software firewall (such as the in-built Windows jobbie) or does the router take care of that sort of thing?

I'd certainly keep a software firewall as well. There are several reasons for this.

1) To block outgoing connections, as aforementioned.
    2) extra layer of security for incoming connections.
    3) Since you have a laptop, you might surf on networks "routerless", meaning your computer will use a public IP directly. Good to have a software fw if you brint it with you somewhere.