Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

"Is it a PC or laptop?"

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
Since my new boss has taken office last October, I have been hearing the title question coming from him repeatedly, and it is starting to irk me. A laptop computer can still be a PC... but it can also be a Mac. A desktop computer can still be a PC... but it can also be a Mac. So you're either going to ask:

a) Is it a desktop or a laptop?
b) Is it a PC or a Mac?

Anyone else has a boss/senior/supervisor who does this? :-) I know some people refer Dysons as "Hoovers" but I don't mind that. It's such innacuracies in the IT industry that shouldn't be tolerated.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I've used both throught my life.

Always far preffered Macs, but the differences between PC's and Macs arn't so big and don't matter so much anymore.

Still prefer using macs though
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    At work we have lots off people confusing expressions within the field of IT. So many people denotes the desktop box as the harddrive...;)
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    My brother did (the PC or laptop thing) until I corrected him.
    Even my uber-geek friend (much more of a geek than I am, or probably ever will be) did it once recently!
  • Options
    Wait a minute, can't a PC be both a laptop and and desktop?

Should it not be:

b) Is it Windows or a Mac?
  • Options
    Monserrat wrote: »
    Since my new boss has taken office last October, I have been hearing the title question coming from him repeatedly, and it is starting to irk me. A laptop computer can still be a PC... but it can also be a Mac. A desktop computer can still be a PC... but it can also be a Mac. So you're either going to ask:

b) Is it a PC or a Mac?

Anyone else has a boss/senior/supervisor who does this? :-) I know some people refer Dysons as "Hoovers" but I don't mind that. It's such innacuracies in the IT industry that shouldn't be tolerated.

I believe the latest term is NoteBook (or MacBook) not Laptop

You shouldn't be talking about innacuracies when you've used the wrong term yourself.

If you say LapTop you are indicating it's ok to put this object that could get very hot or even catch on fire on rare occasions on your lap - just asking to be sued if you live in the USA.
  • Options
    Windows is an operating system, Mac is a type of computer... That's like saying "Is it a cat or female?"
  • Options
    Or Windows or MacOS :-)

Oh yes, I've had a few customers do the "hard drive" thing or referring to a pen/flash drive as their "USB".
  • Options
    Windows is an operating system, Mac is a type of computer... That's like saying "Is it a cat or female?"

So are you saying it should be:

1) Is it a desktop or a laptop?
    2) Is it windows or mac os x?

?

Cause surely if it's a mac then you're implying that it's mac os x (not exclusively I know)?
  • Options
    It should be desktop vs laptop/notebook (whichever you pick, just semantics) and PC vs Mac, like they said in the first post.
    A computer can be a PC or a Mac (or other things), but not both. And it can be a desktop or a laptop, and not both.
  • Options

lol Something abou that made Me laugh :p
  • Options
    Silly me, I always thought a PC was a personal computer....
  • Options
    It should be desktop vs laptop/notebook (whichever you pick, just semantics) and PC vs Mac, like they said in the first post.
    A computer can be a PC or a Mac (or other things), but not both. And it can be a desktop or a laptop, and not both.
    No, cause a Mac is a PC (personal desktop or laptop computer).

The line between PC and Windows OS is blurred because of Windows monopoly.
  • Options
    No, cause a Mac is a PC (personal desktop or laptop computer).

Technically yes.

But since their origins machines running DOS, and other systems were generally labled PC's and machines made by Apple have been labled macs since the first Macintosh.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    Technically yes.

But since their origins machines running DOS, and other systems were generally labled PC's and machines made by Apple have been labled macs since the first Macintosh.
    Is that not just a generalisation though cause Windows OS were far more ubiquitous than macs until only recently?
  • Options
    Another name convention is that a "PC" is a computer that runs DOS/Windows, but that's a bit obsolete in my opinion.

For example, old school people would denote a computer with unix "unix workstation" and not a pc.

I wouldn't pay so much attention to the conventions any longer, people can run several OS's on a computer anyway.
  • Options
    Monserrat wrote: »

b) Is it a PC or a Mac?

A PC is a Personal Computer. A laptop, or notebook, or desktop could all fall into this category. Whether they be primarily used at home, in an office, or on your lap sitting on a train - they are all personal computers.

A Mac is a personal computer.
    A Windows-based machine is a personal computer, unless it is a server.

They are both very different machines though. But this is the point - a PC is just a name given to machines used for a purpose. It is not defined anywhere that a PC must be running Windows, nor must it be running OS X.

The correct questions should be:-
    a) Is it a desktop, or a laptop/notebook?

Regardless of the answer, the following would still be a valid question:-
    b) Does it run the Microsoft Windows family of OS, or the Apple Mac OS X family of OS, or something else?

After pointing this out to your boss, you can happily answer all questions legitimately - it is a PC, whether laptop/notebook or desktop-based. And it is still a PC, whether it be running something from the Windows family, or the Mac OS X family.

Chances are every machine he encounters will be a PC these days.
  • Options
    Is that not just a generalisation though cause Windows OS were far more ubiquitous than macs until only recently?

Yes, that's why I said people have 'generally' labled the machines that way since their origins.

You will often find people still refering to Windows based machines as PC's and MacOs based machine as Macs, but they are both personal computers.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Jaysus. Who cares about the exact terminology. If someone asks you if it is a PC or a laptop, you know what they mean.

The mind boggles.