Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Coming off the pill for the implant

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have become really rubbish at taking the pill, recently I done a course with work about different contraceptive, and decided that the implant sounded like a better idea. Does anyone here have an implant, and any good or bad exerpiences etc. Also do I have to wait untill I finish all my pills (I have another 2 months worth left) or do can I go get it done at the end of the month? Thanks

Emz

Comments

• Options
    I have had my implant now for..... nearly three years (Must get it changed soon).

I too was rubbish at taking pills and also has some really negative side effects from them. When I got my implant it was wonderful. I've had no problems with it whatsoever. I forget I have it sometimes. It works really well, I didn't put on any weight whatsoever. And when I got it my bf at the time felt bad (because us girls have to put up with so much) and went out and bought me nice things.

Periods have been pretty regular, short and light.

Must remind you though that with every person it is different and apparently getting it taken out can be quite invasive (I've yet to experience this yet).
  • Options
    I've not had the best of times with mine so far due to nightmare periods. Like spotting constantly for about 4 months, then almost constant heavy bleeding for about 6 weeks. They doubled me up on to the mini-pill which I took for 2 months to try and make it more regulated, I've been off it a week now and am in day 3 of a massively painful horrible period. So not that great for me :p

I'd go nd have a chat with your doctor/family planning clinic to talk about getting it put in. I was on the mini-pill before anyway so could have it done any time, but with the combined pill I think you had to have it at a certain time? They didn't tell me much as it didn't apply to me. Also, I had to wait for an appointment to get it done as not everyone can fit them, so you might not get it straight away.
  • Options
    Go andspeak to the family planning at your GP's, the implant doesnt suit everybody. If your coming off the combined pill you need to have the implant fitted preferably the day after you finish you pack (so the first day of your break) and you need to have it fitted seperatly. I had to wait a week to get mine done.

I had a lot of problems with the mini pill but the implant suits me fine, I havent put any weight on, I dont have periods any more and the headaches I used to have on the mini pill are much fewer. Getting it inserted is not nice, and I did swell up and bruise quite a lot.
  • Options
    Getting it out is worse!!!
  • Options
    I work in a contraceptive clinic; if you're taking the pill currently the general advice would be to keep taking it until you have the implant put in. If you're taking Cerezette then this is the same hormone that is in the implanon already; so you have a good idea how it might affect you.

Lots of women suffer from irregular bleeding; for many this will settle down after a couple of months- sometimes to the extent that they don't have a period.

Removing the implanon is usually fairly simple; if it was put in correctly (near to the surface of the skin) then it is usually very easy to remove; if it was put in too deep then it may take a few minutes longer.

Good luck!
  • Options
    Sorry, just realised I didn't fully asnwer your question. You should have the implant put in when you're bleeding, or within 5 days of the first day of bleeding; this is to ensure that you're not pregnant.