Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Search on TheSite.org

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hiya all,

Just putting together a few changes to the way search works on TheSite.org and thought I should publish it up here for everyone to have a scan at.

It's a pretty long document (big enough to not work as an attachment system :grump: ) so for those that aren't interested in reading it (though there are lots of pretty... err... dull pictures) I've also attached the real basic stuff you need to know - what the search looks like now and what it'll theoretically look like after.

Here's the link to the file -

http://vbulletin.thesite.org/images/20080421_improvedsearch_plan.doc
(3.68MB)

Have a look if you fancy it and let me know what you think...

Comments

• Options
    Only looked at the basic images. looks a lot cleaner and clearer, definately an improvement. Well done :thumb:
  • Options
    Good shit Jimbo :thumb:
  • Options
    Didn't even know you could search for things.

Looks good though :thumb:
  • Options
    The current one annoys me, but the new one looks better.
  • Options
    New one if far better!
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    If I'd have known you were searching for sex...:flirt:

Oh dear God, I am becoming one of them dirty 'thesite' pervs!!

Looks good tho Jim!!
  • Options
    Bunnie wrote: »
    Oh dear God, I am becoming one of them dirty 'thesite' pervs!!

Welcome to the club. Now, about those crotchless panties............... :naughty:
  • Options
    New one looks better imo. But what's the difference between the "general content" and the "askthesite answers" division?

I liked the search discussion board section, making users able to search as much as possible without too many clicks.
  • Options
    askTheSite is our free expert advice service. It lets people from the UK ask questions anonymously about any issue they have and then the private answers are provided by experts (Saneline provided mental health answers, relationship answers are provided by published and well respected agony aunts and relationship advice authors, etc)

When people ask a question they can tick a box that allows the question to be edited for the public archive. This means that the content will be edited of personal information and often simplified then published into the answer archives in each of our main sections (such as http://www.thesite.org.uk/homelawandmoney/askthesiteqandas/legalandrightsqandas )

The other content is basically all the other 1000's of pages of content - factsheets, virals, chat transcripts, true stories, rants, etc.

The problem is that in the current search the natural language nature of an archive answer tends to overwhelm the factsheet content - so factsheets that explain an overall picture of a problem might not be seen before lots of more specific questions.

Now the archive answers are great but I'm really after users being able to pick the style of advice they want to read initially - by dividing the content up they have this chance.

Hopefully that makes some sense - the document goes into more detail with examples and the final copy will be much clearier - at the moment it's just basic holding text from me before the editorial team have got their witty old teeth into it :)
  • Options
    Yes, I see what you mean, and why you're dividing the two of them. And it looks neat :)

The only thing i could put my finger onto is that users will have two lists of search results - one for general content, and one for askTheSite, so people will have to deal with a "show more result" button/css link for both of them. I see in one of the templates that these are reflected as "show more general content" and "show more from askTheSite". I'd make the textlabels for these buttons/css links bit bigger.

Just my two cents, at my University, the more choices you give the user, the more confused they get, but on the other hand, thesite users are probably much more computer literate than the oldies that we're helping out :P

Good work.
  • Options
    It's the partners who are answering questions through askTheSite - they want to find articles to help with answers and to provide links to and it's something that even they have trouble with at times.