Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Bio fuel.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I remember saying on here a couple of years ago that biofuel has to be an insane way to go. In a hungry world ...growing food for machines has to be a major mistake.
Is there any way to stop this madness?
There seems no way to boycott this product thats for sure.

Comments

• Options
    time for mud cookies. om nom nom
  • Options
    where biofuels can be made from waste, or grown on wasteland then I'm in favour. Destroying rainforest, or shifting production from food to fuel is pretty stupid
  • Options
    Some say that governments and big companies are pushing for bio fuels to replace petrol because it still keeps us returning to the pump and thus allowing them to command their 80%+ in taxes.

It's a product most people can't just go ahead and make themselves, as opposed to something like electricity for an electric car that we could actually make ourselves from solar panels on our roofs or wind turbines in our gardens.

Also other technologies are being looked at like running cars on hydrogen or even compressed air.
  • Options
    DG wrote: »
    Some say that governments and big companies are pushing for bio fuels to replace petrol because it still keeps us returning to the pump and thus allowing them to command their 80%+ in taxes.
    It's a product most people can't just go ahead and make themselves, as opposed to something like electricity for an electric car that we could actually make ourselves from solar panels on our roofs or wind turbines in our gardens.

Also other technologies are being looked at like running cars on hydrogen or even compressed air.
    As from today ...a certain ammount of uk fuel for cars and trucks must contain a percentage of bio ...not sure what the figures are. We can make biofuel from cooking oil for our selves
  • Options
    its not madness, what do western gonverments care about more, keeping there tanks and planes running in an eco friendlier way or prevent starvation in poorer countries?
  • Options
    Jonny8888 wrote: »
    its not madness, what do western gonverments care about more, keeping there tanks and planes running in an eco friendlier way or prevent starvation in poorer countries?
    That sounds pretty mad to me Jonny!
  • Options
    Not really, they are all trying to be cleaner for the environment and if you let people starve there less people and more food to go around. Im not saying its right, but its how they think.
  • Options
    they are all trying to be cleaner for the environment .

tROUBLE IS IT IS TURNING OUT NOT TO BE CLEANER! oops caps .
  • Options
    dang.
  • Options
    The problem is it seemed like a good idea at the time, so the polititians said we'll set milestones to encourage development, but didn't think it through.

they can't back down on the milestones, because we're capitalists, not communists, and if companies are going to make the investments needed to develop new fuels they want to feel confident there will be a market for them.
  • Options
    eatingmud.jpg

This article predicted possible food shortages in 25 to 50 years in Britain. Its already happening now in poorer parts of the world as governments pander to eco loons and subsidise biofuel crops. They accept people starving as a consequence of having a greener conscience.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Hydogen fuel is the way forward, and nuclear power plants. I will be SO sad to see the internal combustion engine die, if it happens in my lifetime though. Losing the V8 engine will be one of humanities greatest losses. I will keep a Muscle Car alive though.... even if I have to go to great lengths, just to drive it around amoung all the generic new wierd fuel cell cars and shit.

And just so I can have a huge blower, and 1500bhp, and be fast and dangerous.
  • Options
    Does the idea of cutting down rainforests to grow environmentally friendly fuels not seem completely batshit crazy to anyone else?
  • Options
    Does the idea of cutting down rainforests to grow environmentally friendly fuels not seem completely batshit crazy to anyone else?

Welcome to the reasoning of those in power?

Does invading a Muslim country for no reason, when most of the Mid East is pissed at the west anyway, seem logical?

Does raising tax for the poor seem logical?

The list could go on all day. But really, we humans elect bloody retards to power, don't we?
  • Options
    Not really, they are all trying to be cleaner for the environment and if you let people starve there less people and more food to go around. Im not saying its right, but its how they think.

This reminds me of Malthus http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Malthus
  • Options
    BlackArab wrote: »
    In a major result of this influence, the official response to India's periodic famines (which had occurred every decade or two for centuries) became one of not entirely benign neglect: the authorities regarded the famines as necessary to keep the "excess" population in check. In some cases administrators even banned private efforts to transport food into famine-stricken areas. :shocking:
  • Options
    I see a return of coal.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote: »
    Hydogen fuel is the way forward, and nuclear power plants. .

why isn't the hydrogen economy being implemented more rapidly? We already have all of the technology and the knowledge necessary to make it work. In other words, it is already "feasible" at a technical level.

The first reason is that it is currently more expensive. In other words, while it is feasible it is not "economical." This could easily be changed by diverting the billions of dollars governments in Canada, the United States and elsewhere continue to put into subsidizing oil, coal and nuclear technologies, and diverting those subsidies into hydrogen and other alternative energy technologies.

Any new technology is expensive to develop. There are research and development costs, and marketing expenses. The development of manufacturing facilities and other infrastructure are necessary. But once technologies and markets are established the price of new technologies tends to come down. (Think of personal computers, compact disk players, high definition televisions. It's a common pattern).

The second reason is that there are very powerful vested interests, especially in the petroleum industry, which oppose the transition. This is not surprising because once people realize that it is possible to produce your own fuel in the garage using a rooftop solar array, an electrolysis machine and your local water supply, they stand to lose billions of dollars. And where is the profit in a system where the average person is no longer dependent on an energy supply which they can centrally control?

The main reason for the slowness of the move towards a hydrogen economy, then, is not feasibility but a lack of political will.
    As for nuclear ...to dangerous. If the ancient Egyptians had used nuclear power ...their nuke waste would still be 95% active.
  • Options
    Using sugar cane in Brazil does seem to cut down about 70% of the CO2 compared to using oil in cars.

Using corn grown in the US reduces the CO2 output by 10% at the max. The big push from the US for this has nothing to do with the environment and everything to do with farm subsidy, its a good way to give farmers billions of dollars.

Using scrub land to grow coppice which you then burn for power does make sense, getting the methane from pig and cow crap makes sense. Using commercialy grown food crops for fuel does not.
  • Options
    J wrote: »
    It's one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard of yes. I think more needs to be done to work out a way to make electric cars more viable.

I dreamt of a "battery station" where you could drive in and a forklift type machine would take out the spent battery cells and replace it with fully charged ones. The old ones would then move along on a mechnical system to be charged, prehaps in a big undergraound charging facility, and so the cycle would repeat... I'm not sure how viable it is??
    Interesting idea ...I will of course pay you some kind of royalties when i make money with this idea of mine ...yours ...
  • Options
    The main reason for the slowness of the move towards a hydrogen economy, then, is not feasibility but a lack of political will.
    As for nuclear ...to dangerous. If the ancient Egyptians had used nuclear power ...their nuke waste would still be 95% active.

Yes, a bit more research and we'd be all using hydrogen power.

Nuclear also isn't dangerous at all, only poorly run plants are dangerous these days, now we learned from Chernobyl... porrly run plants like Sellafield, that nearly melted down AGAIN in '05...

And Sisewell, which, despite being a wonderful plant... nearly blew up in '02...

Private companies, they have YOUR interests at heart.
  • Options
    Yes, a bit more research and we'd be all using hydrogen power.

Nuclear also isn't dangerous at all, only poorly run plants are dangerous these days, now we learned from Chernobyl... porrly run plants like Sellafield, that nearly melted down AGAIN in '05...

And Sisewell, which, despite being a wonderful plant... nearly blew up in '02...

Private companies, they have YOUR interests at heart.
    The research has more or less been done ...the space shuttle has been flying on hydro for years. We know how to split water and use the hydrogen and the only by product being water coming out of the tail pipe.
    We already know how to ...can do. It is a matter of investment and that is being hampered by governments and oil companies ...take a butchers at this ...The Hydrogen Economy:

The heart of this system is hydrogen fuel. In fact, while many people are not yet aware of it, all of the technologies for implementing a hydrogen economy, as this larger system is called, already exist. When it comes to sustainability, hydrogen is also the perfect choice. Hydrogen is the most abundant element in the universe and one of the most abundant on earth.

clik ...http://roycdudgeon.newsvine.com/_news/2008/04/12/1426135-the-alternative-energy-system-with-the-most-potential

as for nukes being safe that is a no brainer ...they are not. Fortunately we haven't had a major accident with waste yet ...YET. If we do ...and millions die ...it will be to late to realise how dangerous it was ...to late to put things right.
  • Options
    unfortunately we were too stupid and sold all our oil, now we are a net importer and haven't worked out that we need to replace that source of energy. turlough is right in that we'll only figure it out once we start having power cuts and then they'll have to crank up the coal mines again.
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote: »
    eatingmud.jpg

This article predicted possible food shortages in 25 to 50 years in Britain. Its already happening now in poorer parts of the world as governments pander to eco loons and subsidise biofuel crops. They accept people starving as a consequence of having a greener conscience.

It's not the environmentalists who are saying we should go with biolfuels... Or hopefully not. Can't see how it's especially green.

Already this is damaging Mexico...
  • Options
    The research has more or less been done ...the space shuttle has been flying on hydro for years. We know how to split water and use the hydrogen and the only by product being water coming out of the tail pipe.
    We already know how to ...can do. It is a matter of investment and that is being hampered by governments and oil companies ...take a butchers at this ...The Hydrogen Economy:

The heart of this system is hydrogen fuel. In fact, while many people are not yet aware of it, all of the technologies for implementing a hydrogen economy, as this larger system is called, already exist. When it comes to sustainability, hydrogen is also the perfect choice. Hydrogen is the most abundant element in the universe and one of the most abundant on earth.

clik ...http://roycdudgeon.newsvine.com/_news/2008/04/12/1426135-the-alternative-energy-system-with-the-most-potential

as for nukes being safe that is a no brainer ...they are not. Fortunately we haven't had a major accident with waste yet ...YET. If we do ...and millions die ...it will be to late to realise how dangerous it was ...to late to put things right.

Propose to me HOW a Modern Nuclear power plant will explode, please. Give me the way it will happen, and why. We learned not to use Graphite, and we came very close then to dieing, the world was saved due to two brave conscripts. We also learned in Chernobyl doing saftey tests was dangerous on your reactor. But, thankfully, they now have lots of failsafes and are done exceedingly carefully.

Hydrogen needs more reasearch for one reason: It is still VERY expensive, we need a cheap production method. When this happens it will be more fesiable.

It'll also make cars boring, but hey. Can't win them all.
  • Options
    Propose to me HOW a Modern Nuclear power plant will explode, please. Give me the way it will happen, and why. We learned not to use Graphite, and we came very close then to dieing, the world was saved due to two brave conscripts. We also learned in Chernobyl doing saftey tests was dangerous on your reactor. But, thankfully, they now have lots of failsafes and are done exceedingly carefully.

Hydrogen needs more reasearch for one reason: It is still VERY expensive, we need a cheap production method. When this happens it will be more fesiable.

It'll also make cars boring, but hey. Can't win them all.
    I'm talking about the waste ...we haven't a clue what to do with it for the next million years. As i said ...if the ancient Egyptians had been using the stuff ...the waste 5,000 years later would still be more than 95% active.
    If you read the link it explains how we can already produce the hydrogon albeit expensive at the moment but ...if the government will was there and the oil compoanies attitude were shifted then the neccessary investment would be put in and the price would plummet.
    It's like every other product ...once the investment is in and infrastrucure built etc ...we could be turning it out tommorow massively ...but ...with a solar panel and some water and an electrolosis unit ...you could be manufacturing your own quite easily ...not what big companies want.
    Now read the bloody link before i come round and kick you in the shins!
  • Options
    EU announce back track on biofuels ...cos of food crisis ...Yippeee!