Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

How to deal with modern pirates...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article3736239.ece

According to the FCO, the answer is to do nothing in case they claim asylum or we breach their rights.

When we topped Blackbeard we carried his head back on the bow of the ship...

Comments

• Options
    Britannia rules the waves!

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
  • Options
    Another example of what a tiresomely ludicrous government we have ... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Fucking ridiculous. If we can't detain them and they're attacking British shipping or citizens then shoot them. Or arm the crews of British tankers.
  • Options
    Absolutely fucking absurd. This was my favourite bit of it:
    The Foreign Office has advised that pirates sent back to Somalia could have their human rights breached because, under Islamic law, they face beheading for murder or having a hand chopped off for theft.

Also known as 'punishment' for their crimes.

Sir Francis Drake would be rolling in his grave.

Also, this is my 4,000th post. :yippe:
  • Options
    The Foreign Office has advised that pirates sent back to Somalia could have their human rights breached because, under Islamic law, they face beheading for murder or having a hand chopped off for theft.
    Surely they make them walk the plank?

I was gonna say take away their computers. But I guess that's not the pirates they're on about.
  • Options
    i say sink em.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Ahahaha, we let them in? Wat?

Stupidity prevails. Pirates still win, even today.

Sigh. Easy solution is kill 'em at sea. Trial by sea, sink em, shoot at em while they drown. If they live through that, good going. But they won't.
  • Options
    they wouldnt have to become pirates of they had a council house and therapy :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Send 'em to the bottom of Davy Jones' locker and be done with it.
  • Options
    lacrymosa wrote: »
    Pirates are real?!!!!

Yes, mostly operating out of Africa and South East Asia, modern day pirates are a blood-thirsty scourge on shipping. At the moment, like in days of old the only thing keeping them at bay is the Royal Navy. A big part of their operation is stopping piracy.

It's times like this I'd love to be a gunner on a destroyer, one of their shitty little dinghys would be no match for a goal keeper.WNNeth_30mm_Goalkeeper_pic.jpg
  • Options
    to be fair, they probably do sink them, its not like thers a pirate base where they keep tabs on all pirates at sea and if they disappear or report being attacked they take it up with the UN
  • Options
    Jonny8888 wrote: »
    to be fair, they probably do sink them, its not like thers a pirate base where they keep tabs on all pirates at sea and if they disappear or report being attacked they take it up with the UN

Only sometimes, most of the time they are captured if the Royal Navy is dealing with them.

If I was a captain of ANY OTHER SHIP though, I'd run the fuckers down. Yeah boi.

Of if I worked on one of these...
    akula1.jpg
    I think the problem would be easily solved.
  • Options
    I wouldn't mind being a pirate ...have you lot chasing me with your big guns and subs ...sounds exciting.
  • Options
    The piracy problem isn't going anywhere soon. Shipping around Somalia is very very vulnerable and its hard to run down a speedboat crewed with people waving AK47s and torpedoes with a container ship doing ten knots. It's not Jolly Roger tomfoolery, it's such a huge problem that ships will steer 300-400 miles off course just to avoid having to go within speedboat range of the African coast.

The best solution is what the French should have done last week: shoot them on sight.
  • Options
    OMG! I can't believe that LIKE, pirates are REAL!!!!!!! :o

:D
    yes, they sail the seven seas downloading illegal copies of films and music
  • Options
    i know how to handle pirates.

a pint of guiness and chocolate fudge cake. :D
  • Options
    Piracy is a nasty business - don't think it's all fun and frolics. It often involves murder, rape, serious assaults. It remains a major problem is some parts of the world.
  • Options
  • Options
    Bolllocks to their "human rights", frankly. Shoot the bastards on the spot. Britain's got enough vermin in the population already without bloody pirates threatening to claim asylum here.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    . . Britain's got enough vermin in the population already without bloody pirates threatening to claim asylum here.
    I can see it now ...pop down the pub and it's full of geezers with parrot shit on their shoulders ...paying in pices of eight ...hooked hands and eye patches. What shall we do with the drunken sailor ...
  • Options
    I can see it now ...pop down the pub and it's full of geezers with parrot shit on their shoulders ...paying in pices of eight ...hooked hands and eye patches. What shall we do with the drunken sailor ...
    Burying treasure everywhere and claiming they'll be back to dig it up, when they know scurvy will have killed them long before that day comes...
  • Options
    Piracy is a nasty business - don't think it's all fun and frolics. It often involves murder, rape, serious assaults. It remains a major problem is some parts of the world.

PIRACY IS SERIOUS BUSINESS.

I think the solution is that we employ the pirates to attack our enemies and leave us alone.

I can see it now, make them all corporate mercanaries, attacking enemies of the big paying companies.

Hey, can I sell this idea?

Failing that, we can just pay some bored Russian Sub crew to go hunting.
  • Options
    Hey! I am thinking of pirates that I see in films. I didn't actually think they existed until I read this........

:o
  • Options
    :D
    yes, they sail the seven seas downloading illegal copies of films and music

:lol:
  • Options
    But they do form awesome bands like Alestorm and play pirate metal..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=og5qSIkuTAI