Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Age Differences

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Im 16 and a girl i like is 14, 15 in a few months, my mates call me a perv because i like her. I dont really get it. Surely 1.5 years isn't too much of a difference is it?

And another thing is, i find it difficult talking face-to-face to girls i fancy or girls i know fancy me.

Advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Age gap

One and a half years is a small age gap when you are older but fairly big at your age. If you focus your attention on the girl you fancy, show some interest in her by asking her questions you may find you forget about your shyness. It is important to make eye contact if you can, otherwise you might come across as untrustworthy. Good Luck.
  • Options
    bless :)
  • Options
    Mandalena wrote: »
    One and a half years is a small age gap when you are older but fairly big at your age.

:yes:

i agree, when you are younger it seems like a much bigger gap because you grow up and change so much over short lengths of time. but there's 10 years between my mum and dad and no one has ever (as far as i know...) taken issue with it.

to be honest this confuses me, cause most teenage girls like to have an older boy... :chin:
  • Options
    Aw, I don't think it is. Just don't go breaking the law by sleeping before she's 16.
  • Options
    Don't listen to your mates if you like her go for it. But don't do anything illegal cos if you break up she could tell the police then you would get into trouble.

As for having problems talking face to face, build up to it by texting/ talking on the phone/ talking online to start with or something.
  • Options
    your friends suck. I knew all this "pedo scare" in the media will backfire one day. It's usually always an eye of the beholder thing, but you are fine imho.
  • Options
    dont worry about it mate. there is a massive thing about going out with someone under 16 because people presume theyre having sex. so if you like her (and as long as you dont do anythin illegal) go for it mate:)
  • Options
    dont worry about it mate. there is a massive thing about going out with someone under 16 because people presume theyre having sex. so if you like her (and as long as you dont do anythin illegal) go for it mate:)

what's the law over there if both people are under 16? Who gets the bollocking? Just out of interest.
  • Options
    Aww thats quite sweet. Like some other people have said a gap like that seems massive when your at school, but when you get older it's nothing. But 16 & 14...nothing wrong with that. If she was i dunno 12 or something might be slightly concerning...
  • Options
    tell ya mates to grow up, and do what ya like
    my 18yr old friend is dating a 16 yr old
    so what :D
  • Options
    Indeed, it seems to me that your friends are immature. Go for what you want, not what your mates think is right.
  • Options
    I think it's okay, as long as you completely respect the girl and don't take advantage of her.
  • Options
    Go for what you want and not your mates, it's not that much of an age difference.

Girl i know has a fella 34, she's 17. No one bats an eyelid, at first they did but now it's all fine.
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    what's the law over there if both people are under 16? Who gets the bollocking? Just out of interest.

The law is that anyone who is 16 or over who is involved in any form of sexual contact with someone under 16 is breaking the law. The way this is written could include everything from a hug or a kiss to full sexual intercourse. Since consent under the law is impossible before 16 then the person who is 16 or over is involved in a crime.

In practice the law was written to protect people below the age of consent from serious sexual crimes by people significantly older than them - and a court is unlikely to see kissing between a 15 year old and a 16 year old as a crime.

However this is what the law is and the original poster needs to bear in mind that it isn't just sexual intercourse that's illegal.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    The law is that anyone who is 16 or over who is involved in any form of sexual contact with someone under 16 is breaking the law. The way this is written could include everything from a hug or a kiss to full sexual intercourse. Since consent under the law is impossible before 16 then the person who is 16 or over is involved in a crime.

In practice the law was written to protect people below the age of consent from serious sexual crimes by people significantly older than them - and a court is unlikely to see kissing between a 15 year old and a 16 year old as a crime.

However this is what the law is and the original poster needs to bear in mind that it isn't just sexual intercourse that's illegal.
    Originally Posted by StrubbleS
  • Options
    Sorry my mistake, not that there's no value in restating the situation for the OP - the law would examine the situation in detail and assign guilt, if any needed to be assigned. Two 15 year olds having sex they both essentially agreed to are hardly going to lead to criminal prosecutions. In cases of sexual abuse amongst children there will be times where it's clear who the abusive party is and at other times it would be a long process to decide if someone was guilty of a crime.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    Sorry my mistake, not that there's no value in restating the situation for the OP - the law would examine the situation in detail and assign guilt, if any needed to be assigned. Two 15 year olds having sex they both essentially agreed to are hardly going to lead to criminal prosecutions. In cases of sexual abuse amongst children there will be times where it's clear who the abusive party is and at other times it would be a long process to decide if someone was guilty of a crime.
    Not after niggling you JV ..not today anyway ...it was just an interesting question ...i understand what your saying.
    When i was under 16 we were all at it ...without giving a thought to any legality.
    Like you say it would be very doubtful if a prosecution would come abvout if two 15 year olds were having sex ...but there probably is a law which could be enforced one way or another.
  • Options
    /e:

mystery solved
  • Options
    wow... thats quite a difference from what i'm used to... so even though its the opposite way around for my girlfriend and me... whoever makes these laws was probably incapacitated, that seems rather strict, are you sure?