Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Other nations flag on day of constitution

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Believe it or not, that has been a suggestion being brought up by some government bodies up here. While I realise that different nations emphasize their day of constitution/national day differently, I'd still like to ask this question in a general manner.

What is your opinino about having other nations flag on your national day in your country? Why or why not is this wrong?

Comments

• Options
    I can't say I've ever seen another nation's flag flying in Britain tbh. Except during Olympic torch relays, diplomatic visits, and outside Italian restaurants. They want to ban the flying of any non Norwegian flag on your national day? Well if you believe The Sun, they ban the flying of the English flag on our national day. I couldn't care less tbh. People can fly whatever they want, whenever they want.
  • Options
    No, they don't want to ban any other flags on our day of constitution, in fact some want to encourage it.

The thing is that some government bodies want to allow other nations flag as an addition in order to make "immigrants feel more integrated". So I guess one other question would be how far should we go to integrate foreigners? I mean, integration is of course necessary. But how far should one really go to accomodate foreigners?
  • Options
    I think the idea of encouraging it is stupid. I'm not someone who usually cares less about such things, but I think that one thing that most immigrants would like is to actually integrate into their new community, which is quite hard when they're not shown what it is, or told "fuck it, let's celebrate your culture instead" which is the message you're giving by encouraging them to fly the flags of their home countries. I think intergrating immigrants culturally is the one area that Europe lags behind America.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    We have a constitution?

Also once again, add it to the list, government miss the point entirley. The reason people are here is not because they want to remember thier country, they want to be in Britain.

Also I have seen other nations flags flying. We have a Polish corner shop, and thier flag is on the wall outside. Looks odd.
  • Options
    T-Kay wrote: »
    What is your opinino about having other nations flag on your national day in your country? Why or why not is this wrong?

Nothing is wrong with it - apart from the fact that it makes, like, no sense at all.

But if they ever introduced that here, i'd have the Norweigan flag flying because you guys give us a great big Christmas tree every Christmas.
  • Options
    PC gone mad! ;)
  • Options
    Apart from a few examples listed above, why the hell would anyone want to fly the flag of another country? Fine if you're from another country, or you support a foreign football team, but I get the feeling they want this done in an official way?

And who pays for people to come up with daft ideas like that? Imagine the feeling here if we allowed the German flag to fly over our public buildings, or vice versa in Germany?
  • Options
    Living in Leicester I'm fairly used to seeing different flags from India and Pakistan, especially if there's a cricket match or something (I don't follow cricket all that much, but suffice to say they're pretty insane about it). Apart from on official looking buildings where it looks 'proud', our flag always just makes me think whoever has it out their window is a BNP supporter.

Sad state of affairs, really.
  • Options
    The great unwashed of the land ...realy don't give a shit.
    This is the UK ...we don't fly flags on our houses or in our gardens ...we know where we are and who we are. Leave all that crap to the numpties in America.
  • Options
    I think the idea of encouraging it is stupid. I'm not someone who usually cares less about such things, but I think that one thing that most immigrants would like is to actually integrate into their new community, which is quite hard when they're not shown what it is, or told "fuck it, let's celebrate your culture instead" which is the message you're giving by encouraging them to fly the flags of their home countries. I think intergrating immigrants culturally is the one area that Europe lags behind America.

Yes, that's really the core of the question. I've got nothing against immigrants celebrating their own days, with their own flags and so on, but I'd respect the national day in the country in question. It's not like I'd fly to britain and wave our flag on britains national day either.
  • Options
    How many of you people wave fucking flags?
  • Options
    rollflagjp2.jpg
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    PC gone mad! ;)

The world gone mad, who gives a fuck we are all one world :D
  • Options
    How many of you people wave fucking flags?

I was a part of this, very proud day if you ask me.
  • Options
    :chin:
    I was a part of this, very proud day if you ask me.

• Options

Just celebrating the removal of the brits. No harm there. ;)
  • Options

:D With you now ...i couldn't make it out ...thought it was a hippy peace camp or similar.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit

Don't woory.

Most of Britain will be celebrating when NI is no longer anything to do with us. More hassle than it's worth.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    Don't woory.

Most of Britain will be celebrating when NI is no longer anything to do with us. More hassle than it's worth.

Trouble is, Ireland doesn't want us either. We're fucked either way! :D
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    Trouble is, Ireland doesn't want us either. We're fucked either way! :D

Cor, imagine if Gordy ever introduced a national United Kingdom day - crowds of people standing around saying things like that to each other.
  • Options
    English bloke having a whinge on the newly introduced UK day: "Bloody Scottish! what have the Scots every done for us, eh? We work hard, and for what? Just to fund their fancy drugs and free university education and all they ever do is whine about independence. Better off without them if you ask me...porridge eating...mumble mumble...And North Sea oil is ours! The thieving...mumble mumble...blooming kilt-wearing...mumble mumble"
  • Options
    Runnymede wrote: »
    English bloke having a whinge on the newly introduced UK day: "Bloody Scottish! what have the Scots every done for us, eh? We work hard, and for what? Just to fund their fancy drugs and free university education and all they ever do is whine about independence. Better off without them if you ask me...porridge eating...mumble mumble...And North Sea oil is ours! The thieving...mumble mumble...blooming kilt-wearing...mumble mumble"

i like you ...don't tell anyone
  • Options
    J wrote: »
    Isn't the British flag all about integration anyway? Doesn't it represent the world (empire?) in minature?

Yes and No. It represents the intergration of the countries in the UK. Nothing to do with the empire.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Runnymede wrote: »
    Cor, imagine if Gordy ever introduced a national United Kingdom day - crowds of people standing around saying things like that to each other.

If everyone was mature and sensible it'd be fine. Everyone could sit down and talk over things, express thier views...

But some cunt would warmonger and turn it into a bloodbath.

NI is a huge problem. No-one wants it, and if the Brits bail, sadly people like the IRA have shown what they'll do. And the Loyalists aren't any more.

Someone has to defend you nutters :p Go make your own security force then we can leave. And send our troops places like Afghan, I am sure they prefer it there.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote: »
    And send our troops places like Afghan, I am sure they prefer it there.

You do know one of the Regiments out there is the Royal Irish Regiment - don't you?
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Yes and No. It represents the intergration of the countries in the UK. Nothing to do with the empire.

wales isn't represented on the union jack...

as for the flags well honestly who gives a shit. don't burn them...fly them. however many you want. we brits don't go in for forced patriotism like the yanks, but i don't see a problem with the flag...

i display flags of 2 countries where i live...fuck the matrix!
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    phoenix24 wrote: »

You mean the Union flag. :D
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    phoenix24 wrote: »

as for the flags well honestly who gives a shit. don't burn them...fly them. however many you want. we brits don't go in for forced patriotism like the yanks, but i don't see a problem with the flag...

er wales is represented since it was made part of england before the creation of the UK
    The Welsh Flag is the only flag of the constituent countries of the UK not to be used in the Union Flag. Wales had no explicit recognition in the flag because Wales had been annexed by Edward I of England in 1282 and, since the Laws in Wales Acts 1535–1542, was considered to be a part of the Kingdom of England