Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

associating a bad mental health with taking drugs

Does anyone else feel that drugs maybe trigger a mental unstability in most people that is already there and sometimes its not down to the actual drug they are taking

For example the people that never take any drugs in their lives and still become mentally unstable and have much the same problems that drug users come across

I know this may not be strictly true but research is bound to prove something close to this?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Drugs both legal and illegal can cause mental health issues, however I think they normally work with a fault in the brain rather than creating one in a totally healthy individual.
  • Options
    hi
    There is an amount of evidence linking drugs to poor mental health, most notably cannabis in recent years. the current thinking is that if you use cannabis at an early age, you have a greater chance of developing scizophrenia, so if you use heavily at 13 or 14 the are twice as likely to develop it. (1% rises to 2%!!). however this research is flawed and most professionals agree that it is more likely that cannabis causes psychotic disturbance in people who have a likelihood of getting the disease anyway.
    stimulants can cause depression and anxiety during the period that the individual uses the drug and this can carry on for some time while the person recovers. amphetamine and cocaine can also cause a psychotic reaction if used heavily, but again, this passes over time.
    The profession is unsure whether the drugs themselves do this or it is because users tend to suffer from more mental health problems than non users anyway.
    there are many instances of detrimental effects that drugs and alcohol have on the functioning of the brain, this is merely a snapshot of the more common ones. i can point you in the direction of further reading if you would like.
  • Options
    I know plenty of people who think drugs have donated towards a mental health issue. But often there are other factors concerned, such as stress, family life etc
  • Options
    yes drugs play a role in mental illness espically in people who have a history of it in there families...for instance schizophrenia is linked to cannabis but only if the person has it in there family it increases the susceptability of getting it....

but many people can use drugs and maintaine sane.....but then who is too say what sane is....what if pot heads are the most sane of all???
  • Options
    It makes me want to encourage people to plant things and talk about economic collapse.
  • Options
    yes drugs play a role in mental illness espically in people who have a history of it in there families...for instance schizophrenia is linked to cannabis but only if the person has it in there family it increases the susceptability of getting it.

The dark side of that is that given the proliferation of patterns of drug use that we tend to get nowadays - people taking more, of more different things, more often (poly-drug use) we really only know a small amount about substances administered in laboratory conditions. There is a great unknown about the manner in which alot of people use in this country, and anecdotal evidence from mental health services is not usually positive about potential outcomes.
  • Options
    Drugs (including alcohol) do have an impact on mental health and personally, I do think that it is that they amplify it on individuals with good mental health rather than start it from fresh in a healthy brain.

I think that a lot of people blame drugs more as well, as they don't want to feel 'weak' or like they have less control over their life and emotions and blame drugs for their loss of 'control'... if that makes sense. We like to attribute the blame to other things to try and justify our own actions.

I think personally, that drugs affecting mental health isn't the epidemic we make out (obviously if you use most drugs too much or don't know what you're doing it can have mental and physical affect). I also think that the research publicised just suits the government's agenda at the time.
  • Options
    Of course there's also self-medicating, where people with mental health problems or just heavy personal stuff going on take the drugs to blot out their problem, which of course would lead to the bad mental health that they have coming in. I don't really know, cocaine probably does with cocaine psychosis, I don't see much hard evidence for the cannabis and ecstasy links.
  • Options
    Definitely a lot of evidence that links drug use (or abuse) with schizophrenia. Typically, drugs appear to worsen or accelerate the symptoms.

An old army buddy of mine suffering from schizophrenia apparently made things worse with his drug intake.

Here's a site that I have that touches on this -- http://www.symptomsofschizophrenia.net

Sheldon