Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

BTEC Diploma vs A Levels

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I saw the Connexions advsier at my old secondary school today. He asked me what I want to do and suggested that I may want to do a BTEC. He gave me a protspectus from the local FE college. He said that I probably wouldn't need to do level one as I already have a pass in GNVQ ICT.

He said I could go to the art & design college and study web development. I had a look at some of the courses they offer, but I'm no good at art and don't really have any interest in doing art either.

My question is, what's the difference between A Levels & BTEC? From what I understand, BTECs are usually one subject. Would this seriously limit me for what I want to do at university?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Not at all, you're probably best off taking a course in the subject you actually want to do at university simply because it will give you a head start with knowledge but its not a requirement. I took a BND in IT practioners then went on to take business at university. It all comes down to ucas points, gain enough points and you will be able to get onto any uni course you like
  • Options
    God I am so damn passionate about this.

I was what they called a "high flying" pupils got 5 A's and 5 B's at GCSE (although thats lower than my expected grades). If I wasn't so headstrong and if I didn't know what I wanted to do as much as I did I would have been at the local 6th form now studying for my A-Levels. Because I was able and a "bright academic future" ahead of me they never even considered for me to do a BTEC. God, when the headteacher and head of years asked me what I was doing beyond school and I replied childcare, their faces were a picture.

My BTEC has given invaluable experience, confidence and knowledge both theoretically and in practice. I am highly employable and that it what I am now seeking. I could also apply and probably get in some very good uni's although I haven't yet tried.
    A BTEC is what you make it; a course to reach employment or a course to lead you into university.

If you know what you want to do, what area, for example IT, Sport, Science or Childcare a BTEC is better than A Levels. If you aren't sure, then mabye A-Levels are better for now because of your unsureance. Oh and don't go off college taster days - nothing like the course!!
  • Options
    *Ashlee* wrote: »
    If you know what you want to do, what area, for example IT, Sport, Science or Childcare a BTEC is better than A Levels. If you aren't sure, then mabye A-Levels are better for now because of your unsureance.

BTECs are a good idea if you know what you want to do, because they are more vocational and some are intended to help you learn a trade. obviously it is only one subject area although the content can be quite a broad range. with A levels you would do three different subjects so would show versatility, but they are more academically challenging and are exam based as opposed to the coursework weighting of BTECs. in my opinion, to get decent A levels you have to really want to do them and like your subjects, and also work your arse off because they are hard. i'm not suggesting that BTECs are easy, but they are more practical and also they are focused on the particular field you enjoy.

another thing to consider is what kind of worker you are, because essay-based A level subjects don't suit everyone. BTECs are coursework based so if you are the type of person who ballses up exams then they are a good option.

with regards to university, it very much depends on the course. an art and design BTEC is more than likely to get you into art school, for example, but it won't give you much chance of doing a physics degree. the two courses both earn you ucas points (as long as your BTEC is national level not a first diploma), but some uni courses ask for specific subjects.

if you want to go into the working world, employers like BTECs because they teach practical skills. it's very dependent on what you want to do and where you want to be; different courses suit different people.

hope that helps :)
  • Options
    Thank you very much. :)
  • Options
    this link might help you :)
  • Options
    Very useful, thanks again.
  • Options
    I did a BTEC Diploma in Health Studies and loved it. I lasted a month at sixth form doing A levels and hated it.

On my course we did all sorts from science to medical terminology. Doing A levels I wouldn't have gained have the experaince from placements and knowledge I had when I left college!

People can slate BTEC's but just ignore them, mine was equivalent to three A levels anyway.
  • Options
    omg hi wrote: »
    with A levels you would do three different subjects so would show versatility, but they are more academically challenging and are exam based as opposed to the coursework weighting of BTECs. in my opinion, to get decent A levels you have to really want to do them and like your subjects, and also work your arse off because they are hard. i'm not suggesting that BTECs are easy, but they are more practical and also they are focused on the particular field you enjoy.

Don't want the OP to get the wrong idea. My work for my BTEC accounts to much more than some of my friend's A-Levels have done. Also many people only do/get 2/3 A levels whilst when I complete my BTEC I will have 3/4 A Levels. Of course, A-Level students have a lot of exams on top; of which I do not have - that is one of the major differences between the BTEC ND and A Levels.

Also, within the BTEC you show versility - don't think that employers are going to look and think of shes only got a btec in early years she will only be able to wipe kid's arses. I have a good basic grounding knowledge of psychology, all areas of all curriculums, behaviour management, how children learn and many other units/topics. This is showing versility (and a wide range of roles) within the workplace as well as within a university. For example if I wanted to to Child Psychology my qualification shows that I have a distinction in developmental psychology. This is just as applicable and valuable as a general Psychology A-Level.

And BTECs are flogged as this vocational, practical training but people underestimate and don't realise just how much work is involved ALONGSIDE the vocational and practical training. (not aimed at omghi just a general sorta outlook)

another thing to consider is what kind of worker you are, because essay-based A level subjects don't suit everyone. BTECs are coursework based so if you are the type of person who ballses up exams then they are a good option.

The coursework within the BTEC is built up from essay, leaflet/information sheet writing and presentations - over half being essay writing.
    College/BTECs/NVQs/A Levels all involve essay writing - can't get around it in HE - the apprentaship approach gives more flexibility but they don't give away qualifications willy nilly.:p
  • Options
    Btec

My son did a BTEC Media Studies course about ten years ago, he now has his own successful recording studio in London. It is a very good choice, my son learned very useful skills.
  • Options
    My work for my BTEC accounts to much more than some of my friend's A-Levels have done. Also many people only do/get 2/3 A levels whilst when I complete my BTEC I will have 3/4 A Levels.

a BTEC ND is worth 3 A levels.

with workload, it depends on both the subject you are doing and the amount of effort you put in. both courses are difficult, but in different ways. the harder you work, the better you will do. no one claimed that BTECs were, easy, i said that they suited different types of learners.

Of course, A-Level students have a lot of exams on top; of which I do not have - that is one of the major differences between the BTEC ND and A Levels.

that's exactly what i said :)

Also, within the BTEC you show versility - don't think that employers are going to look and think of shes only got a btec in early years she will only be able to wipe kid's arses.

i didn't say that at all, i said that if you knew you definitely wanted to be a nursery nurse, for example, you would be better prepared with a diploma, but if you wanted to go to medical school you would need A levels or IB.

i think i gave the original poster a very good outline, actually :)
  • Options
    that's exactly what i said love :)QUOTE]

:chin:

How patronising.

Thanks for that.
  • Options
    actually i edited that as soon as i'd written it, for that reason. which was not intended.

:)
  • Options
    i dont suppose its exactly relevant but im doing a Btec. Its being finded by my work and i go to college 1 day a week. im also doing an NVQ while im in work.
    For my job, i could have any amount of A-levels in the world and it would account for naff all.

So yeah, i guess its as the others have said, BTecs are probably more appropriate if you know exactly what you want to do after it.
  • Options
    simply put:
    1. a BTEC is a vocational qualification (a job related course)
    2. A Levels are academic - not related to any specific job just to further your education
    most universities accept a BTEC as equivelent to 2 A Levels and wouldn't limit your chances of getting a degree at all.
    having said all that, if you don't want to do art/web development, then don't!
    study something you want to do.
    if you don't know what you want to do then i'd say A Levels would probably be of more use to you, as you can take a fair few A Levels and get a better understanding of what you do want to do. If you know what you want to do and there is a BTEC which offers it, then i'd say thats the better one to go for.
  • Options
    I lasted at 6th form for about two months .. I hated it! I found A-Levels to be a lot of work at the environment was so much like school (but more boring) so I left.

Now I'm at college doing a B-Tech in Media Studies and I love it! I find it's easier because all the work is built up thoroughout two years and it's all done in assessments rather than exams. But the only problem I've found is I haven't been fully supported from college about going to Uni and they don't push you as hard as they do in school for higher education. If you want to go to Uni at my college you have to go and sort it out yourself.

I think either A-levels or a B-Tech is good but it depends what sort of person you are rather than how clever you are as to which one is best suited for you.
  • Options
    Of course, A-Level students have a lot of exams on top; of which I do not have - that is one of the major differences between the BTEC ND and A Levels.

Do you have any exams at all? I did do an NVQ last year and only had one exam and loads of coursework. (which I prefered)