Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Tips for Job Applications

littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
Anyone got any useful tips that they have found works for them in the past?

I have to go through that oh so wonderful process of job hunting / application form filling that I so dearly love. And I don't want it to last long. For my job, I don't need to fill out a CV but the application form always asks for a 'suitablility for the job' statement. I have skreets of experiences but always struggle to sell myself, so I am wondering what tips you guys have out there.

How do you sell yourself? How do you make yourself sound like the bees knees without being arrogant and an idiot? Prospects has some good advice, as does thesite, but I'm wondering if the masses have anything else to share? Any personal tips or advice?

I also thought it may be a nice idea to have all application hints and advice in one place that people can add to when they find that something works for them.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    As someone who has read and scored more job applications than i care to think about - the best advice i can give you is to go through the person specification and outline how your previous experience matches each of their criteria in turn preferably in the order it is on the page.

For things that are a bit hard to tell like - enthusiasum or tact and diplomacy i would write something like

Enthusiasum

I have always passionately belived that each child has the right to achieve their potential through accessing a high standard of primary education. I have done XYZ - and then list stuff aside from your teacher trainign that shows this plus things you've done in a school setting. If i remember correctly did you not do some teaching in some really difficult schools? if so i would mention that as well

for tact and diplomacy - In my previous positions i have always dried to ensure that i have dealt appropriately with issues of XYZ including ensuring that both children and adults are .

Also talk about child protection stuff as well i guess
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Make your statements geared towards what the job is looking for.

Also when writing about yourself keep it short and include a reference of how you as person can fit the job title.