Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Just left my girlfriend

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi everyone, Im new here. (very long post coming up, more like a short story...actually more like a novel) If you don't want to read it go straight to the bottom...

I'm 20 years old and have just left my girlfriend after two and a half years. I feel awful about it because I told her I'd never leave her (unless she cheated on me or beat me or something). Anyway, I imagine she's feeling devastated but heres why I did;

We'd been having problems recently (past couple of months) and she'd been totally different with me. I've always thought she was like two different people (im not just talking about moody). There was one that was really nice, who I loved more than anything and who loved me (hence why we'd been together two and a half years) and then there was the other person who didn't want to know me, wouldn't get close and who just wouldn't even talk to me if I had things on my mind. The thing is, I hadn't seen the former one for about two weeks at least.

Last weekend I went round to her house and she was feeling down, I talked to her a bit, and she seemed to feel a bit better. So then I thought, since were sharing things, I'll tell her all my worries (all I wanted was an honest relationship). I told her things like, that I didn't feel good about myself (apperance, career prospects - im about to finish uni) and that I was paranoid she was going to leave me for someone (I didn't tell her who, lets say his name was John - I dnt want to use real names!). I got no support after telling her all this and ended up walking home around one o clock in the morning feeling lower than ever (I'm not just talking about me being short either; sorry, I have a tendency to joke when im feeling down). Anyway, so after considering jumping off a bridge into the local river (not really to die, rather just to get the feeling, weird I know), I decided not to and didn't see her for about a week.

She then invited me a week later to go out (she'd pay). It was my group of friends (who she knew as well) and some of hers aswell. We went out and I'd get the bus with her. The bad night started there. At the bus stop I said 'I love you' to which she replied "I care about you, well I love you sometimes". We normally say 'I love you too'.
On the bus, she said "I'm getting my lip pierced..its my body". I mean, fine but she could have shown me a bit of consideration, like "I'm thinking about getting my lip pierced". Anyway, when I asked her why, I knew what was coming...."oh John's got his done...it looks cool" (or something like that, remember 'John' is the guy I think she fancies). So, the rest of the bus journey consisted of her telling me things she was doing (again not showing me any consideration) "im going to this place this day", "im going out to cinema with my friend this day" etc. I didn't react badly, Im good at staying calm (most of the time).
We got off the bus and met our friends. On the way to a pub, I made a joke, can't remember what it was but I'd never say anything nasty about her. She replied "Oh, well your going to be single soon anyway". Now, whether she was joking or not, thats crossing the line. I quietly said something like "I hope your joking" and she didn't reply.
Moving on, a random woman kissed my hair (because its a big and a bit crazy..like an attempted afro) and when we got out the pub I said to my gf, 'by the way, she kissed me'. She replied (in front of my friends) "oh well I don't see why, your not exactly attractive". That hurt me, even though I know I'm not.
Anyway, we get to the club and she meets this 'John'. No sign of the group she was supposed to be meeting. She leaves me to go in and I get lost (as usual) and don't find anyone for about half an hour (Itend to get very lost). When I do find them I don't sit next to her, (as shes kind of on the edge, and if I did I'd only be able to talk to her really, and thats something she hasn't been doing all night). So I sit next to a mate and 'John' comes along and sits next to my gf. Fair enough I thought, except she moves closer and is totally flirting with him. She goes off with him (to this supposed group, who I never see for the rest of the night) and I don't see her much until the end (when I do, I kind of ignore her because of course im feeling depressed and angry with the night so far).

Anyway, I see her at the end and shes wearing a random jacket (I wonder whose it might be?, I thought). "oh its Johns, we were outside and I was cold". The thing is, were inside now, on a packed dance floor, and shes still wearing it and continues to do so.

So, as you can imagine, I wasn't feeling great about myself and the relationship. After thinking it through, I decided to send her an email, basically telling her everything she did to upset me and what I honestly thought about her (that shes like two different people) and that I felt the relationship shouldn't go any further. I did it by email because if I'd have gone round, I'd have seen the nice side of her. I told her that aswell.

She replied minutes later with "Oh, well I guess its over then". I just said 'yeah I guess it is'. Later on in the night, I got another email saying "Look i'm sorry if I hurt you but I do love you and wish things could have been different". I haven't replied since (this was all on monday night by the way but it seems like forever ago).
I got home last night to find she had dropped her stuff off that I'd ever given her (teddies, eternity ring etc) and that she'd also given me back the photos of me and her...ripped into pieces (some which dated back to when we first started going out). I've never felt low in my life because I don't know if I've made the right decision.

Basically what im asking is, should you be with someone if you only love a part/side of them? I know that the nice side of her is devastated yet I keep forgetting the things she said and did that night. Any thoughts would be much appreciated :)

Comments

• Options
    Very briefly, even though you broke it off, I think she was just waiting for you to do so. Sounds like she has been playing away, I'm afraid and she'd already moved on in her head.
  • Options
    Yeah, sounds like she was just too cowardly to do it herself so acted like that to make you dump her.
  • Options
    It does sound like she was waiting for you to break up with her. I think you made the right decision, even if one part of her was lovely no-one should have to be treated like that by the other part. Try and stay positive and know that you are moving on for the better, even if it doesn't seem like it at the moment :)
  • Options
    Yeah, I guess. Just remembered she left me a note with the things she brought back saying that I need to go pick up my bike (irrelevant) and that to tell my brother she's cancelled the room for my suprise 21st (in June). That sounds like she didn't want to leave me, I don't know :(
  • Options
    Basically what im asking is, should you be with someone if you only love a part/side of them? I know that the nice side of her is devastated yet I keep forgetting the things she said and did that night. Any thoughts would be much appreciated :)

sorry, read just that part. My opinion is. There will always be "good things" in a relationship, even if everything is fucked up, there's at least nice memories or any other small stuff. If there is someone about your partner that really irks you and won't go away no amount of good stuff can balance that out. If you have doubts about the relationship, that are not to be solved, then staying in said relationship is like clawing onto a sinking ship.
  • Options
    I'm sorry but it sounds like she (for whatever reasons) has decided already in her head that she doesn't want a relationship with you, and she did all of this stuff to make it easier for her (i.e you doing all the dirty work). She sounds like a bitch tbh and like she doesn't really care for your feelings what so ever. You sound like a nice guy that deserves a lot more. x
  • Options
    Few words spring to my mind. Escape . Lucky! - To answer your end question I think you can't truly be with someone unless you love them completely, warts and all. You can dislike some of the things they do or say or hate them when they hurt you badly but you should love them completely. (imo)

Don't entertain the idea that she may have fancied or been cheating on you with this 'John' chap. Instead, focus on moving on and not letting your thoughts turn on yourself. It's not your fault this has happened so just remind yourself of how good you are and start some plans/future goals for yourself.

If I were you I'd take heart from that song "What goes around...comes around". She'll soon find things aren't so great with John or being on her own. But again don't dwell on her or what she may do. Just get busy doing things and remind yourself this outcome isn't so bad for you one bit!!

You'll now get to find a girl you like completely!! Not just half the time or when she in good mood etc. However I'd suggest taking time out from birds etc. Do some healing and keep busy!

All best mate! :)
  • Options
    Ok, thanks a lot people. Never expected all this support really so thank you loads! I'm feeling a lot better :)